The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). It brings together 14 countries of the regional economic community. WAPP is made up of public and private companies involved in the production, transmission and distribution of electrical energy in West Africa.
We are recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Transmission Line Supervisor
Location: Local PMU Office – Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi
Employment Type: Contract
Project: WAPP North Core Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Project Management Unit (PMU), WAPP North Core Interconnection Project
Line Manager: Contracts Engineer
Type of contract: Full time, approximately 24 months
The 330 kV North Core project consists of the construction of a 330 kV transmission line over a length of approximately 875 km between Birnin-Kebbi in Nigeria and Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso, passing through the Niamey region in Niger. The project also links Benin, in the Malanville region, through Niger. The project is co-financed by the World Bank, the African Development Bank, the Agence Française de Développement, the European Union and the Government of Nigeria.
Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to improve its coordination, the Energy Ministers of the North Core countries have agreed to set up an institutional framework that provides for the creation of a Project Management Unit (PMU) to assist, among other things, in the development and physical implementation of the project. The PMU consists of a central unit based in Abuja, Nigeria and will also have local offices in each of the countries involved in the Project.
The Project PMU (Central Unit and Country Offices) is supported by a Consultant Engineer recruited mainly to ensure the supervision of construction works undertaken by the Contractors.
- Under the direct supervision of the Contracts Engineer of the local PMU, the Transmission Line Supervisor will be responsible for working in close collaboration with the Consulting Engineer of the Projects Owner’s Engineer and the National Electricity Company, in order to supervise and ensure the execution of tasks as part of the high voltage lines construction project to be undertaken by Companies recruited for this purpose.
- The Supervisor will also have a functional relationship with the technical team of the central PMU.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Transmission Line Supervisor will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of EPC contractors in coordination with the Consulting Engineer. He/she will prepare progress reports for the Country Office, with a copy to the PMU-HQ, as well as monitor the execution schedule of works. He/she will be in permanent contact with the National Electricity Company to ensure technical coordination of works.
- He/she will perform his/her tasks in accordance with contracts signed with the construction companies based on international and donor standards, namely the World Bank, ADB, AFD and EU.
Specific tasks include:
- Prepare progress reports on the execution of works, in line with the required frequency;
- Ensure that the implementation of the project complies with contract specifications and applicable international standards;
- Ensure that the project schedule is adhered to in the execution of construction works;
- Control the quality and quantity of line supply items and spare parts;
- Gather all relevant construction information, anticipate and identify problems and risks that may arise and recommend necessary actions;
- Evaluate and advise on all proposed technical variation justifications or claims;
- Understand environmental issues during project execution and advise firms on compliance with specifications;
- Respond effectively to any other tasks assigned to him/her by the Contracts Manager or the Central PMU technical team.
- Assist in the preparation, organization and conduct of site meetings with project stakeholders;
- Participate in validation of the nature of the soil for the pylon foundations;
- Participate in electrical tests and measurements on the line as well as in commissioning;
- Coordinate interfaces among the contractors;
- Coordinate interfaces with the National Electricity Company or any other party involved;
The Transmission Line Supervisor shall:
- Have a minimum of Degree in Electrical, Electromechanical Engineering or related field;
- Have at least 5 years of proven experience in the maintenance of high voltage transmission lines (HV) or have proven experience in one (01) HV transmission line construction project;
- Have a good knowledge and understanding of topography and Geographic Information Systems (GIS);
- Must be currently working with the countrys National Electricity company;
- Have practical experience in project planning and monitoring software such as MS-Project/Excel.
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of HV transmission line engineering, including conductors, insulators, structures and foundations;
- Have a good knowledge of civil engineering with respect to transmission lines;
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent planning and project management skills;
- Ability to manage work with little or no supervision;
- High level of initiative and ability to work with little or no supervision;
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with contractors and other parties involved in the project.
- The Transmission Line Supervisor must be fluent in English.
- The duration of the contract is 24 months with a probation period of six months. The successful candidate will be placed on standby during the project implementation phase and will be required to commit to working with the National Electricity Company for a period of at least 2 years to ensure the operation and/or maintenance of the infrastructure after commissioning.
- The Transmission Line Supervisor will be required to submit weekly implementation and progress reports, as well as monthly and quarterly project reports.
- These reports will include information, tabulated progress, schedule updates, quality, safety and risk identification of the project and pending and forecasted work.
Constraint related to the position:
- Extensive travel within the project areas.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Only nationals resident in the country and working with the National Electricity Company can apply
Application Deadline 29th July, 2022 (17:00 GMT).