The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Translator / Interpreter – Portuguese
Requisition ID: 1261
Location: Banjul, The Gambia
Reports to: Deputy Secretary to the Commission
Directorate / Department: African Commission on Human and People’s Rights ACHPR
Division: ACHPR – Translation
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for interpretation at the sessions and meetings of the ACHPR as well as translation of documents Portuguese into English and vice versa.
- Take technical and intellectual lead in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise
- Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Unit’s support to ACHPR.
- Provide support in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
- Develop materials and provide necessary internal training and support as required.
- Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
- Foster and ensure implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization;
- Provide support in the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings in relation to area of expertise.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Deputy Secretary to the Commission, the Interpreter/Translator shall carry out activities related to the functioning of the Interpretation and Translation Unit, specifically:
- Ensure quality translation of working documents in a timely manner;
- Provide consecutive, simultaneous, liaison and other forms of interpretation during conferences, meetings, audiences, discussions, etc;
- Keep abreast with developments in the language field, both in the source and target languages, by compiling and regularly up-dating specific terminologies, phrases, acronyms and special expressions in order to widen the stock of vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills;
- Check working documents before and after meetings to ensure contextual understanding, linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU terminologies;
- Participate in the development of AU terminology database by compiling terms into glossaries for validation by the Reviser for inclusion in the ACHPR in-house terminology bank;
- Have a good command of the Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT) and Remote Simultaneous Interpretation (RSI) tools and systems.
- Protect the confidentiality of information.
- Check appropriate references to ensure exact understanding and use of AU technical terminologies;
- Regularly consult colleagues, specialized dictionaries/glossaries, data banks, etc to ensure accuracy in translation;
- Maintain databases, records and registers of Translation and Interpretation Unit for accountability and control;
- Liaise with the various units of the ACHPR for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepare budgets for the activities of the Translation and Interpretation Unit in accordance with the relevant frameworks;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
Candidates must have:
- A Master’s Degree in Interpretation, Translation, Modern Languages from an accredited University with ten (10) years’ experience as an interpreter/ Translator out of which six (6) years should be at expert level;
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Interpretation, Translation, and Modern Languages from an accredited University with twelve (12) experience as Interpreter /Translator out of which six (6) at expert level.
- A Degree in Legal studies will be an advantage.
- Certification from a Translators/ Interpreters’ professional body is required.
- Membership of a recognized professional body will be an advantage.
- Functional Skills and competencies
- Good translation and editing skills, with the ability to produce accurate and clear translations;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office).
- Ability to work in a multicultural and/or international work environment;
- Ability to work on own’s initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a proactive manner;
- Knowledge and Understanding
- Experience in linguistic research and development of data-base;
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT);
- An understanding of the confidential nature of this area of work.
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate with peers;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Candidates must be fluent in Portuguese and have a good command of English.
- Knowledge of another AU working language is an advantage.
- Strategic Insight.
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Building Relationships.
- Accountable and Complies with Rules.
- Conceptual thinking.
- Job Knowledge Sharing.
- Drive for Results.
- Continuous improvement orientation.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 15,897.60 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 1st August, 2022.