Breakthrough ACTION ignites collective action and encourages people to adopt healthier behavior – from using modern contraceptive methods and sleeping under bed nets to being tested for HIV and preventing the spread of zoonotic diseases – by forging, testing, and scaling up new and hybrid approaches to social and behavior change.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Translator (English to Hausa)
Period of Engagement: 1 month (May 1, 2021 – June 2021)
Number of Working Days: TBD
- Despite improvements, Breakthrough ACTION and USAID Advancing Nutrition research findings from ongoing nutritional programs have identified challenges in user-friendly, client-centered job aids to improve nutrition behaviors.
- This project aims to take a human-centered design approach to explore the behavioral drivers for nutrition, focused on complementary feeding, and to design and test prototypes for novel social and behavior change modalities that will support CHWs to better educate, empower and activate caregivers nutritional. This is expected to be conducted in Arewa, Suru, and Fakai LGA in Kebbi State.
- The translator will be responsible for providing high-quality translation of a research content (Line of Inquiry) from the English language to the Hausa language in a straight-to-the-point manner with the translated content carrying the same meaning as the original text in English.
- The translator should be ready to infuse corrections and reviews into translated work and complete the work within the agreed timeline and format.
Scope of Work
As a translator you are required to:
- Reads through and review the research content (Line of Inquiry) in the original English language format, ascertain an understanding of the meaning and context of the material, and converts it into the Hausa language, making sure to preserve the original meaning.
- Translates all the content of the Line of Inquiry document depicting and providing subtitles where relevant as depicted in the original document.
- Consults with BA-N to understand specialized concepts and translate them appropriately.
- Uses highly specialized translation templates to encourage efficiency and consistency.
- Adheres to industry quality standards established by the Association of Translation Companies to ensure that all completed work follows legal and ethical obligations.
- Provide high-quality translation of contents and translated content must be short and straight to the point.
- Translators must be willing to infuse corrections and reviews into translated work.
- Interprets the written into the specified language, ensures meaning and context are maintained, creates glossaries or term dictionaries if and where relevant.
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit a soft copy of the content in the required format.
Minimum Qualifications & Skills
- Possession of a Graduate Degree in English or Hausa Language, Mass Communication or from the Humanities
- Ability to read and write in English and Hausa languages fluently.
- Should preferably be a native Hausa language speaker.
- Familiarity with and understanding of Kebbi local culture, traditions, and context.
- Previous experience in translation, interpretation, mass media engagement, and Hausa program production is highly desired.
- May specialize in a particular industry in which he or she has relevant experience or knowledge, such as health, development, or arts.
- Works on a freelance basis or pursues employment with an educational, government organization, or development partners
- Excellent attention to detail and willingness to learn new ways of working.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline 11th May, 2021.