The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in
the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor for Agricultural Finance
VA No: 057
- The Technical Advisor for Agricultural Finance will support the Project Coordinator in the coordination and implementation of the activities of the project in Nigeria in close collaboration with the implementing consulting firm (AFC), other GIZ programmes in Nigeria, GIZ Country Office and the steering unit of the GP, as well as partners such as the Federal / State Governments, other international organizations and the private sector.
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Technical Advisor will Support the project coordinator in overseeing the technical implementation of activities; Conduct specific tasks in connection to the development of agricultural finance products; Provide technical support for improving the training approaches.
Job Description / Requirements
In close coordination with the technical team of the implementing consulting firm AFC the technical expert will:
- Ensure effective implementation and provide technical guidance to the project in close cooperation with the AFC team
- Acts as a liaison officer with partners from the public and private sector
- In collaboration with the AFC team adapt existing training materials and develop new formats for the context of Nigeria based on the needs of the target group
- Facilitate training and workshops related to capacity building measures for partners and the target group
- Coordinate local consultancies and procurements as part of the project activities in the value chains with a specific focus on entrepreneurship and business development
- Assist with overall planning, coordinating, and implementation of GIZ program activities
- Provides input to project monitoring and evaluation methodology and design
- Review of reports from local and international consultants
- Assist in ensuring synergies with other projects both within GIZ and other donors in Nigeria
- Liaise with selected partner institutions to institutionalize training approaches
- Support in identifying business cases in the agricultural sector which can be supported by the project and its partners
- Support in identifying new and innovative financing services, in particular regarding the use of digital services, insurance, and public financing schemes
- Contribute to the assessment of potentials in linking environmental aspects to financial services in Nigeria
- Support in identifying training needs and knowledge gaps of the respective target groups
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the Project Coordinator
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Agriculture Finance, Micro-Finance or related field.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competencies:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary / multi-institutional teams (units / research organizations, NGOs and Governmental agencies, farmers, their organizations, and donors)
- Positive, collaborative, and constructive attitude to people and work.
- Composed and good humored even under pressure
- Open to change and ability to manage complexities
- Previous working experience with GIZ is an advantage
- Knowledge of local Nigerian languages of the project regions is an asset
- Team player and constructive attitude responding positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Advanced working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery
- Personal integrity and accountability
- At least 5 years of professional working experience in a similar position
- Broad experience in the promotion of agriculture value chains and agriculture finance through integrated approaches in capacity development and business development / financial inclusion
- Experience in planning, monitoring, and evaluation in the agricultural sector is an added advantage
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and one-page cover letter as one document with complete contact details to: [email protected] using “Vacancy no. 057” as the subject of the mail.
Note: Only applications sent to this email will be considered (do not send your application via Linkedin)
Application Deadline 14th July, 2021.