African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel – Public Sector Operations, PGCL1
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50069181
- Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Bank’s constitutive documents.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG).
The Hiring Department:
- The role of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL) is to deliver legal advice and services to the statutory organs of the Bank Group and to protect the interest of the Bank from liability and represent the Bank in Litigation.
- The principal objective of the Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division (PGCL.1) is to provide legal support in connection with public sector transactions and project implementation for loans and grants of the Bank and the Fund and other special vehicles such as special funds and trust funds. In addition, the Division provides legal assistance on operations policies and governance, environmental and procurement related matters as well as all aspects of the business of the Bank Group.
- The Senior Legal Counsel – Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance will ensure compliance with the various policies and regulations of the Bank related to public sector operations.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager PGCL 1, the Senior Legal Counsel – Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance will:
- Ensure compliance of all operational activities with applicable Bank policies, rules and regulations.
- Prepare and issue legal opinions on agreements, contracts and other formal arrangements for operational activities of the Bank Group and Special Funds with sovereign entities, state-owned enterprises, international organizations and others;
- Provide legal advice on projects throughout the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and post-evaluation stages of the Project cycle;
- Assist in the design of projects and programs from inception to completion in compliance with the Banks policies and regulations including the project structure and implementation arrangements, financing instrument(s), terms and conditions of financing, and compliance with the relevant policies and regulations of the Bank;
- Provide legal support and technical assistance to regional member countries and to regional and sub-regional institutions in connection with matters pertaining to the purpose, functions and activities of the Bank and to developmental issues and activities;
- Advise on the promulgation of operational policies and regulations of the Bank related to public sector operations;
- Provide legal advice on operations-related implementation activities of bilateral and multilateral cooperation arrangements related to public sector operations;
- Draft and Negotiate financing agreements including loan agreements, grant agreements, guarantee agreements and co-financing agreements with other lenders;
- Provide legal opinions on the effectiveness of financing agreements and the fulfillment of conditions precedent to disbursement including the review of documents submitted in fulfillment of loan and grant conditions;
- Draft Board resolutions pertaining to public sector projects and programs
- Participate in project and program appraisal missions and review project concept notes, project appraisal reports and other internal Bank project documents; and
- Undertake such other assignments as required by the Division Manager, PGCL.1 or the General Counsel.
- Holds a Master’s degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the Bank member countries; OR a Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the Bank member countries.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in a law firm, a financial institution or a multilateral organization.
- High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results.
- Seasoned knowledge of the current trends in development finance and familiarity with development and international finance.
- Strong skills in preparation of legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, and conducting negotiations.
- Effective advisory skills that enable clients and help resolve legal issues.
- Ability to work independently in a multicultural team and deal with diverse matters in a multi-cultural environment so as to foster effective working relations with colleagues.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and/or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Deadline: 26th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required Degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications).
- In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever