The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Camera Operator
Job Family: Technical Production
- Be part of the team responsible for the operation of various types of camera in studios, on outside broadcasts and on location, providing a high degree of technical expertise as well as a flexible and efficient service, to meet the visual requirements of the Producer or Director.
- Routinely filming and editing complete packages for use across multiple platforms.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Operate cameras without supervision to a medium level of artistic complexity.
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, shoot, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards – recognising the distinct requirements of different types of output.
- Routinely shoots and edits packages, long form pieces.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Work to the highest level of craft complexity on directed multi-camera productions including handheld.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Willing and adept at passing on skills through training and mentoring.
- Operate lighting for camera to a basic level of complexity (normally restricted to basic lighting kit).
- Operate and rig the full range of camera equipment for high complexity productions (multicamera).
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Experience as a camera operator and editor.
- Candidates will have relevant experience in News broadcasting environment, practicing a range of location craft skills (e.g. camerawork / lighting / editing / location facilities). They will be able to demonstrate strong interest in and proven commitment to News.
- Proven knowledge of issues and stories relevant to African audiences.
- Experience of filming, editing and packaging content for TV and radio.
- Excellent communication skills, tact and diplomacy and be able to liaise with people at all levels.
- Must have the full range of location craft and technical skills, the ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location and at base, demonstrating a well-developed sense of visual awareness and a willingness to learn how to use new technology and kit.
- Excellent digital skills with track record of researching and discovering stories and after appropriate training use PNG, Quickfire and other newsgathering systems.
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of digital boradcast – Using WMT (Mobile), Lucy live, livestreaming, DSNG etc.
- Ability to gather and prepare audio and video material for use on any service, recognising the distinct requirements of different types of output, self-shooting and editing routinely.
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques especially self-shooting and editing.
- Industry recognised training.
- Experience in working across a range of programmes genres, both recorded and live.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- May be informally supported by junior staff i.e. VT Editors, News Director.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and post-production of genre programmes.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 10th June, 2021.