Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Risk and Compliance Officer
Job ID: 220000B2
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Job Level: Day Job
Job Type: Full-time
Job: Risk Management
Employee Status: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Organization: Catholic Relief Services
- You will conduct risk related activities for the country program (CP) including sub-recipient compliance adhering to CRS policies, local laws, and donor regulations to help ensure effective delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable.
- Your knowledge and skills will help reduce risk to staff, to the effectiveness of our programming and to the people we serve through the application of the principles of stewardship, integrity, transparency, and accountability.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Risk and compliance manager and CP leadership on strengthening internal control systems and processes.
- Help identify risk issues and challenges and solutions to address them.
- Help implement and advise on the sub-recipient financial management policy (SRFMP)
- Support the planning and performance of internal audits, control reviews and compliance assessments, conduct audit activities as applicable. Help analyze results and provide recommendations.
- Perform audit tests and prepare working papers in accordance with professional internal audit standards and CRS’ R&C methodology
- Develops and maintains effective and professional working relationships with all levels of staff within the organization, including Senior Management and partner organizations.
- Engage in continuous knowledge development regarding donor rules, regulations, best practices, and internal audit standards
- Support the design and facilitation of trainings and institutional capacity strengthening plans for CRS and partners.
- Support external audits and the coordination of action plans to close out audit findings.
- Evaluate the adequacy of process, design, and the effectiveness of controls in meeting program and control objectives. Identify and document control and process weaknesses and provide evidential support for findings
- Propose practical and value – added recommendations to address control weaknesses and/or process inefficiencies
- Assist in the preparation of a concise and informative audit report to effectively communicate the findings and recommendations to the project and senior management.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Head of unit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or other relevant Bachelor’s strongly preferred.
- Recognized accounting professional certification (e.g. ICAN, ACCA, CPA) is required
- Certified Fraud Examination certification will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 3 years work experience, ideally with an international organization, with progressive responsibility in operations and/or programming. At least 2 of these years entailing audit, compliance or risk management experience.
- Knowledge of audit standards and compliance regulations and familiarity with international standards for internal control and risk and compliance management (e.g., COSO, ISO, COBIT)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good relationship management skills
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Good analytical, organizational, and systems thinking skills
- Ability to make sound judgment
- Required Languages – English. Hausa will be an added advantage.
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) and information management systems.
- Excellent report writing skill
- Supervisory Responsibilities – none
- Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
- Familiarity with accounting systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- countability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information and Notice
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm
Application Deadline 26th April, 2022.