The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Resource Management Officer
Job #: req17216
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Resource Management
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges.
- The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
- The Budget, Performance Review, and Strategic Planning Vice Presidency (BPS) is organized into two Departments: BPS’s Global Practices and Regions (BPSGR) with teams supporting Operational Units; and BPS’s Corporate and Middle Office (BPSCM) with teams supporting Institutional, Governance, and Administrative Units as well as providing Corporate planning, budgeting, and reporting services. As a Resource Management (RM) function, BPS has the following key accountabilities: strategy and business planning; expense management; performance review and reporting; resource management infrastructure development and maintenance; internal controls and risk management; and resource management capacity building.
- BPS’ service delivery model has three core roles:
- Business Partners (serving clients directly with focus on decision support and performance oversight);
- Centers of Expertise (providing thought-leadership and analytics, designing business finance policies, practices, systems and coordinating business finance knowledge management); and
- Business Center (managing delivery of high volume and transactional and reporting services across the Bank, including help desk support to clients).
- Sitting within BPSGR, the Resource Management Unit of the Africa Region (BPSAF) is responsible for business planning, budgeting, work programming, deliverables reporting, and financial reporting for all the departments in the World Bank Eastern and Southern Africa Region and Western and Central Africa Region.
- In addition, in country offices, BPSAF staff performs accounting, payment processing, cash management and administration functions.
- Overall, BPSAF ensures that each department maintains cost efficiency and effective controls over all financial transactions and provides support for effective management and monitoring of deliverables.
- BPSAF is seeking to recruit a Resource Management Officer (RMO) based in Abuja, Nigeria to help drive, support, and implement the RM Service Delivery within the BPSAF team.
- The position will primarily serve the Nigeria’s Country Management Unit (CMU) with the Country Director (CD) and the Operations Manager (OM) based in Abuja, Nigeria country office. The CMU also has an anchor office in Washington, D.C.
- Working independently under the supervision of Chief Administrative Officer/ Senior RM Officer in HQ and general direction of CMU Management, the selected candidate will be the main BPS Business Partner for the Nigeria’s CMU, assisting its management with business planning, budgeting, and monitoring of budgets, as well as Work Program Agreements (WPAs), reporting to both the CMU and the CAO’s Office on budget execution and projections.
- The selected candidate will also be responsible for the resource management, internal controls, and administrative functions of the CMU and the Abuja Office; and exercise an oversight role on other offices, as needed.
- RM staff are expected to be fungible and to work across the BPS RM Functions over time – in response to business needs and in support of their professional development.
Roles & Responsibilities
Financial Management / Monitoring:
- Plays a key business planning role with the CMU Management Team in overseeing and coordinating preparation of Work Program Agreement (WPA), budget formulation (BB, TF, and other cost-share/revenue sources), and in case of country office relocations or renovations, development of capital budget plans.
- Compiles and analyzes costs at the CMU/country office, measuring efficiency/effectiveness and proposing enhancement solutions as needed, and undertaking comparison of service providers costs, always seeking the best value for money.
- Provides support to the Country Director, Operation Manager, and staff in accessing management reports available in Bank’s information systems.
- Liaises and maintains relationships with local commercial banks as needed.
- Ensures the alignment of planned deliverables and budgets are properly aligned, that country offices liquidity balances have optimum levels, and that exception reports are monitored periodically with remedial actions taken when needed.
Financial Control and Fiduciary:
- Works with the Country Director and Operation Manager to ensure a strong control environment in the country office.
- Reviews accounting transactions, reconciliation reports, open items report, and monthly accounting reports.
- Ensures that Bank’s assets and inventories are appropriately recorded and safeguarded.
- Maintains consistency in the application of accounting rules and procedures.
- Provides guidance, advice, interpretation, and recommendations to the Country Director, Managers, and staff on RM policies and procedures.
- Ensures that audits and quality assurance reviews recommendations are implemented properly.
- Coordinates preparation of accounting scorecard responses and implements recommendations.
Human Resources Management:
- Advises and provides inputs to Management on staff planning/strategic workforce planning exercises.
- Provides support to HR on benefit administration related matters (e.g., financial assistance, salary costing, etc.) as needed.
- Liaises with the HR team on human resource issues that may have budget implications as needed.
- Leads, guides, and mentors other RM Analysts/Assistants, and administrative staff, as needed, in overall RM tasks and institutional policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with Security, IT and Facilities teams to ensure the smooth operation of office facilities, seeking opportunities for improvement where appropriate.
- Oversees the local administrative procurement of supplies, goods, and services; also, where applicable, may take a lead role coordinating and participating in the Country Office Administrative Procurement Review Committee (APRC).
- Contributes to the development of administrative policies and practices for process improvement and the efficient and effective operation of the country office. see attachment
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or other relevant discipline required to fulfill position specific requirements (e.g., Economics, Public Administration, etc.) OR Bachelor’s Degree plus an internationally recognized professional accounting qualification (e.g., CPA, CA, ACCA, CGMA).
- Minimum of five years relevant experience.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, interpersonal and collaboration skills including collaboration across business functions.
- Strong client relationship management experience and skills.
- Takes personal ownership and accountability for meeting deadlines.
- Proficiency in the technical and core competencies (listed above).
- Strong understanding of financial and/or management accounting and budgeting principles and key processes
- Proficiency in SAP and analytical tools, such as BW/BI/BO/AO and/or other systems of comparable complexity.
- Ability to write and present complex data/analyses in a concise and clear manner.
- Planning and Budgeting:
- Able to coordinate work program and budget planning, formulation, allocation processes (including WPAs), and monitoring and management reporting at the department level.
- Able to ensure timely submission in accordance with VPU deadlines.
- Able to monitor the funding position of the unit and liaise with senior staff on addressing funding issues and provide advice to unit management team, leading on corrective action to cover funding gaps and/or invest surplus funds (where applicable).
- Performance Evaluation and Reporting:
- Able to analyze and interpret reports and draw meaningful conclusions with respect to performance against strategic and operational priorities.
- Statutory and Other Stakeholder Reporting:
- Has a good understanding of financial statements and stakeholder reports and can explain trends, drivers, and variances to others (either for statutory purposes or other stakeholders, such as TF donors).
- Integrity and Independence:
- Interprets information in an objective manner, exercising professional skepticism and critical thinking.
- Disseminates information with due attention to potential issues of confidentiality and disclosure.
- Internal Control and Corporate Procedures:
- Able to evaluate and ensure the consistency of specific policies and procedures with the entity’s stated mission, strategies, and practices.
- Can identify deficiencies and analyze controls, policies, procedures, and corporate guidelines, alerting and informing the appropriate channels to review and take corrective action.
- Leadership and Supervision:
- Supervises team by planning and organizing a course of action that will lead to the accomplishment of team and project objectives. When required, makes changes to team composition to obtain and maximize the skills available whether inside or outside the Bank.
- Brings to the team expertise and knowledge that enhances the quality of output.
- Works to resolve differences and issues on the team or between the team and clients; leads the team through challenges.
- Is a model for others of team leadership skills; coaches and mentors others to build these essential skills.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
- The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability
Application Deadline 1st May, 2022 (11:59pm UTC).