The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Senior Communication Manager – SSA
Pay band: 7
Contract Type: Indefinite
- Marketing and Communications at the British Council is a strategic function which drives awareness, understanding and engagement with us across our diverse audiences.
- We use insight, knowledge and analysis of our market and our customers to engage them with our work and our products and services in the most impactful and effective way.
- We lead the development of our brand and use our expertise to tell inspiring stories to enhance our global reputation, build lifelong relationships, engage our staff and demonstrate our impact.
- This role is a new role as part of Marketing and Communications Transformation programme. In line with the Global Recruitment policy, standard application and recruitment decisions will apply for this role
- To manage the development and implementation of communications strategies for the region/cluster/country including internal and change communications, external communications planning and delivery (media, PR, events) and stakeholder communications across all Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
- The post-holder supports the development and implementation of the communications strategy and plan, ensuring alignment to global communications strategy and plan.
- Applies analytical approaches to identify and assess current state of communications, define opportunities for improvement, develop and implement agreed projects and initiatives, ensuring consistency with regional communications strategies, plans and approaches and global strategy where appropriate.
- Develops appropriate communications initiatives and interventions to support business needs, aligned to global and regional communications strategies, plans and approaches.
- Ensures consistent application of agreed global communications and brand standards, templates and processes.
- Review impact and effectiveness of communications projects and initiatives and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Manages the delivery of internal and external communications campaigns, advice and activities, ensuring that messages are consistent and support regional and global communications strategies as part of overall Marketing strategy and plans.
- Provides strategic oversight in communicating the British Council’s profile to internal and external stakeholders working closely with Country Directors.
- Ensures that communications messages are consistent, are aligned to global and regional communications strategy and support the British Council brand.
- Applies advanced communications expertise to provide advice to key stakeholders and develop and deliver agreed programmes of work.
- Provides expert advice, support and challenge on communications to internal customers and other stakeholders.
- Ensures solid and beneficial relationships with marketing and communications professionals globally.
- Actively participates within the Marketing Community of Practice and communications networks
- Plans and prioritises own work activities to ensure effective delivery of diverse responsibilities and deliverables over a quarterly to annual time horizon.
- Determines work plans and coordinates input from others (who may be outside the direct management line) to meet specific objectives.
The successful candidate will need to possess the following requirements:
- Relevant Degree e.g. Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or equivalent level of experience.
- Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
- Experience in a global organisation
- Project management skills.
Role Specific Knowledge and Experience:
- Significant experience in managing communications within a large and complex organisation or agency
- Demonstrable experience in providing expert advice and guidance on internal and external communications
- Experience in managing and mitigating communications risks and issues
- Proven record of editorial experience (i.e. proofreading, translation, knowledge of different content types, etc.)
- Demonstrable creative approach to developing, implementing and evaluating communication activities
- Practical experience of using social media to extend reach of an organisation including through campaigns.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world
Application Deadline 30th January, 2022.