The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Job Identification Number: 7254
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration of contract: 6 months renewable
Grade: 5 in NRC’s grading structure
Reporting line: Protection Coordinator
- We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
- If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Protection Officer to join our protection team in Maiduguri Area Office
- You will be responsible to Provide day-to-day support to program and support teams in Return, Host, and IDP communities to identify and remediate protection gaps and on a regular basis review NRC Vulnerability and targeting criteria by increasing the level of relevant skills and knowledge through the provision of a range of activities
- To be successful in this role you will be a confident communicator with excellent relationship building skills, capable of establishing strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels while supporting new initiatives across the Area.
- If you are highly organized individual, comfortable with working in an emergency environment and have previous experience on protection, we would love to hear from you
- Carry out regular visits to assigned field locations and collect information using NRC procedures and forms
- Flag any immediate protection risks that arise during protection field visits to the Protection Manager
- Ensure space for focus groups is comfortable and appropriate for the group in question and ensure privacy for key informant interviews
- Together with the PC, support programme safe programming initiatives and ensure protection Risk Assessments are core to all NRC’s Multi-sectoral assessment
- Contribute to the design and planning of relevant trainings and awareness raising sessions for NRC staff, community members, LNGOs and duty bearers;
- Build capacity of NRC programme and support teams on protection safe programming by conducting regular awareness raising sessions, inductions and support Core Protection training follow up.
- Identify information needs of IDPs through visits to IDP camps, IDP interviews and focus group discussions
- Proactively engage with programme teams in the field to ensure safe programming tools are up to date and relevant to their needs level including designing and implementing the NRC referral pathway
- Insert information on all referrals into Referral matrix and contribute to data analysis as appropriate, adhering to confidentiality and safety principles
We are Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years’ experience from working in a protection role in an emergency or protracted crises settings
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English & Hausa
- Strong communication, coordination and representational skills.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Work experience in the Northeast is a plus.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
What’s in it for you?
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and to join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- At NRC we think creatively. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face
- You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- Learn on the job: NRC’s collaborative working style favours the exchange of good practice and lessons learnt. At NRC, employees learn on the job and are encouraged to look for opportunities to develop new competencies. NRC managers priorities the quality work and the competency development of their staff. This entails giving newcomers a good start, following up, training and mentoring employees to allow them to perform well in their current job, offering learning and development programmes.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 15th August, 2022 (01:00AM).
- This position is open to National candidates only.
- We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted