The West African Health Organisation (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), with a mandate to ensure the attainment of the highest possible standard and protection of the health of the people in the ECOWAS region.
Within the framework of the Regional “Reproductive Health and REV Prevention Programme in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)”, WAHO and the German Financial Cooperation (Kreditanstalt fur Wiederaufbau / KFW) have agreed to establish a Regional Financing Mechanism for Reproductive Health Commodities.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Pharmacy and Allied Health
Job Code: VN91
Location: Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Institution: West African Health Organisation
Agency: Bobo -Dioulasso
Directorate: HealthCare Services
Division: Human Resources Development in Health
Line Supervisor: PPO Human Resources Development in Health
- Under the supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Human Resource in Health, the incumbent shall update course modules as well as lead the development and standardisation of training (basic and post-basic); within the region.
- S/he shall advocate for the development of Pharmacy and Allied Health Profession as well as develop the harmonised drug regulation policy.
- S/he shall collaborate with the West African Postgraduate College of Pharmacists (WAPCP) in identifying suitably trained pharmacists, allied health professionals; and drug quality control. S/he shall be responsible for the production of a regular journal,
Role and Responsibilities
The incumbent will:
- Organise workshops, seminars, and update courses for pharmacists and allied health professionals in the ECOWAS region.
- Maintain a directory and interact with pharmacy and allied health schools and related institutions.
- Identify appropriate training institutions for post-basic and specialist pharmacy and allied health training.
- Take a lead role in the development of curriculum for training pharmacists and allied health professionals.
- Develop a harmonised drug regulation policy for the sub-region.
- Collaborate closely with the West African Postgraduate Colleges to ensure their progressive development and expansion.
- Collaborate closely with ECOWAS member states and other relevant International Organisations and Partners in the development of human resources in pharmacy and allied health.
- Collaborate with appropriate regional Institutions and Organisations to ensure progressive development of the structures necessary for the maintenance of standards of training and practice of the Allied Health Professions and pharmacists in the region.
- Monitor and evaluate the training programme of institutions training pharmacists and allied health professionals.
- Publish suitable educational materials e.g. journals, modules etc. for the continuing education of pharmacists and allied health professional.
- Identity and maintain records of suitably trained pharmacist and allied health professionals for any Technical Assistance Programme to Member States.
- Develop of a drug policy for the sub-region.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Pharmacy or Nursing or Medical Science or any of the Allied Health Sciences from a recognised university.
- 5 to 7 years of progressive responsible experience in the implementation of healthcare programs;
- Knowledge of quality assurance standards in the ECOWAS region and Non Communicable Diseases strategy;
- Ability to manage relationship with partner organizations, Ministries of Health and other relevant regulatory bodies to foster solid cooperation.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance;
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
P3-03-01 Client Service Orientation:
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Knowledge in database development and management. DHIS2 knowledge will be an advantage
- Advanced knowledge in health information analysis tools.
- Excellent management capacity, including networking and alliance building.
- Ability to work within a multinational environment and with a diverse range of people and organisations at the national, regional and global levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work in team setting, group facilitation and good interpersonal skills.
- Proven knowledge of new developments in own occupation/profession.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards
- Proven experience in the management of Health Information system
P3-04-01 Multicultural Sensitivity and Advocacy:
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an un-biased and transparent manner.
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
P3-05-01 Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
P3-06-01 Analytical and Critical Thinking:
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
P3-08-01 Planning and Implementation:
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify ,organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Must be a citizen of an ECOWAS Member State.
- Must not be more than 50 years of age at the time of recruitment. This does not apply to internal candidates.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which must include the following below to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Each application must include:
- A Completed Job Application Form
- A Cover Letter of not more than one page on the motivation for the post
- A signed up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- A certified copy of Birth Certificate.
- Shortlisting and interview processes shall be based on the ECOWAS Staff Regulations
Application Deadline 9th April, 2022.