The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate G6, Nutrition
Requisition ID: 170195
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- In the Northeast Nigeria states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, ongoing violence is affecting the lives and livelihoods of millions of people.
- The conflict continues to undermine social stability and economic development due to the scale of displacement, disrupted livelihoods and diminished agricultural production due to the protracted nature of the crisis, which has consequential impact on the food security and nutrition situations.
- More than three million persons are facing hunger and are classified in phase 3-5 of the March 2022 CH Analysis in the BAY states of NE Nigeria, and it is estimated that up to one-million, three hundred children under five years and about one hundred and fifty thousand pregnant and lactating women may be acutely malnourished.
- The United Nations World Food programme (WFP) work in collaboration with government of Nigeria at all levels, other UN agencies and partners to address the need of food insecure house holds and nutritionally vulnerable groups.
- As the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger world-wide. WFP is seeking to fill the post of a programme Associate – Nutrition (G6) level, based in Damaturu Area office.
- If you are a Nigerian national, committed, creative professional and passionate about making a lasting difference for people in need, we would like to hear from you.
- To provide support to effective delivery of WFP Nigeria nutrition programmes and activities that contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of WFP beneficiaries.
Key Accountabilities (Not all-inclusive)
Reporting to the Nutrition lead in Damaturu Sub-office, the incumbent should be:
- Able to assess the immediate lifesaving nutrition interventions needed (such as CMAM) in addition to the prevention activities (blanket supplementary feeding programme – BSFP, Social and behavior Change -SBCC etc., that need to be implemented at the same time.
- Assist to coordinate WFP’s nutrition response and recovery activities across a wide range of actors within WFP, donors, host governments, UN, and NGO partners to ensure consistency of programming.
- Consolidate all BSFP distribution plan from all CPs and share with the monitoring unit.
- Liaise with the Sub Office supply chain team to analyze the monthly requirements of the specialized nutritious foods (SNFs) talking into consideration Best Use by Date (BUBD) and Terminal Disbursement Dates (TDD) and make necessary plans to ensure timely utilization of the SNFs.
- With the support of the Nutrition Officer, clearly document success stories that reflects WFP’s impact on beneficiaries.
- Undertake training needs and provide technical assistance to local government units and cooperating partners in the organization of need-based training.
- Support in the implementation of WFP multi-sector nutrition response.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits, if feasible, to review the responses and provide oversight for quality control for partners reporting. Facilitate the identification of information gaps geographically and programmatically, and the rectification of any gaps identified in reporting against the set nutrition indicators of the service delivery (quantity, quality, coverage, continuity, and cost) by regularly communicating and discussing the gaps with nutrition unit members and partners; aim at enhancing timely and quality reporting.
- Maintain monthly collection of reports from partners, identify issues regarding reporting and recommend appropriate solutions to the nutrition team members.
Capability Name – Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level:
- Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance – Can facilitate implementation of nutrition assistance programmes under guidance using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Emergency Programming – Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
- Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government – Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
- Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers) – Demonstrates ability to facilitate, under guidance, nutrition assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
- Knowledge of Nutrition – Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to nutrition assistance programmes
Standard Minimum Requirements
- Completion of Secondary School Education. A Post-secondary Certificate in the related functional area.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience is required in the following:
- Experience and exposure to implementation of national/international development programmes.
- Experience identifying and defining nutrition issues/problems within a country.
- Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts in Northeast Nigeria and within the U.N system is an added advantage.
- Experience working in public health/food security/ nutrition related activities (especially BSFP and TSFP activities).
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th August, 2022; 11:59 pm (Nigeria Time)
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package