The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Office Manager (Bilingual Secretary)
Institution: Office of Auditor General
Line Supervisor: Auditor General
Supervising: Office Aid
- Under the supervision of the Auditor General, the Office Manager should play a vital role in the smooth running of the office.
- From welcoming visitors to reception of calls, fixing appointments, organizing the schedule of his/her superior, drafting of correspondence and filing documents, his or her duties will be critical to the daily activities of the office.
- In this regard, he/she should be quite accessible and responsive in the face of competing demands from both internal and external parties.
Role and Responsibilities
- Management of the Supervisor’s schedule: manage the Supervisor’s diary and schedule, organise and manage appointments; receive and welcome visitors; make telephone calls; verify in-coming calls to ensure their importance and possibility to respond or transfer to the supervisor.
- Administrative Management: organise meetings; receive, draft, type and make follow-up on administrative letters; book meeting rooms; request and provide supplies to the office.
- Management of mail and documents: create a recording system of in-coming and out-going mails; ensure e-archiving and e-filing of documents using ECM software for easy retrieval when the need arises; manage documents (in-coming and out-going, filing of letters); ensure follow-up on documents submitted for signature or approval.
- Computer skills: Knowledge of Ms Office, ECM and other Ecolink software when it is possible. Demonstrate ability in word processing in English, French and/or Portuguese.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the supervisor
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- HND or equivalent in Secretarial Studies or Administration or a related field from a recognized higher institution;
- 6 years’ experience in administrative and secretarial services;
- Sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions with little supervision;
- Knowledge of related computer software and relevant ECM filing systems and correspondence-related procedures, guidelines and processes to preparing and using administrative documents and templates.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to provide suggestions based on own observations that will improve the way work is accomplished and confidently lead on their implementation as requested;
- Experience working effectively as a team member, mentoring teams and occasionally leading on discussions and/or replacing other leading roles as required;
- Ability to support the team by keeping abreast of the team’s initiatives, events and needs, assisting team leaders as required;
- Ability work under pressure and be dependable for results;
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance and to regularly and independently engage in self-assessment activities
- Ability to develop and maintain skills and expertise required to perform in the role effectively
- Excellent work ethics, positivity, motivation, flexibility and problem-solving skills to carry out tasks associated with position;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve semi-routine problems and make recommendations to improve the quality/quantity of services to clients;
- Ardent desire to help others in a variety of circumstances of relevance to own work area and to refer to appropriate person for further assistance as required;
- Ability to work as part of a team in articulating the needs of clients ;
- Ability to manage own time effectively and meet service standards and objectives related to assigned responsibilities.
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organizations mandate and its functions, particularly those of own institution/agency;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities and work tools;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards for emailing and other routine tasks and to keep records, and information pertaining to assigned work in accordance with rules and regulations;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS procedures relevant to tasks and demonstrate understanding of associated systems, processes, rules and/or standards sufficiently to explain their necessity and to identify errors and consequences.
- Numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data following clear and simple instructions;
- Ability to address issues with others in a candid, polite , timely and straightforward manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Understands how to access internal resources or services to enhance cultural awareness and actively seeks to improve multicultural skills when interacting with others with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, especially within west Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand, internalize and develop diversity management skills in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to recognize preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals and to successfully adopt inclusive and culturally appropriate behaviors;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize routine work tasks, to identify solutions to address conflicting priorities or uncertainty in carrying out new or changing tasks;
- Ability to develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve these goals;
- Ability to understand and contribute to team or work unit goals as directed by supervisor;
- Ability to work within well-established office practices and balance multiple tasks within set deadlines.
- Ability to be innovative with established procedures with a view of improving performance and/or outputs;
- Ability to detect and correct errors and to keep accurate records of simple indicators/information;
- Ability to gather and arrange information and data in a simple and understandable manner.
- Ability to provide accurate and complete information to supervisor/co-workers/clients as requested, using good judgment, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to use computers with advanced word-processing skills including a working knowledge of spreadsheets, database, inter/intranet, email and social media;
- Ability to read/listen and understand routine instructions and carry them out with limited supervision;
- Ability to produce clear, concise, logical and grammatically correct written material in the three ECOWAS official languages and to have equal verbal language proficiency;
UA25,527.53 – USD40,277.34 / UA30,178.98 – USD47,616.39 / UA34,933.43 – USD55,117.96
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly, attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more information
Application Deadline 3rd November, 2021.