Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Coordinator
Location: CARO-NG-Federal Capital Territory
Job: Technical Programming
Employee Status: Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
- The purpose of this position is to manage, strengthen, and provide strategic direction to the Nigeria Country Program MEAL system, ensure cross-learning in MEAL among projects, build the capacity of MEAL staff, and support the roll-out and implementation of the new MEAL policies and procedures.
- The MEAL Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating MEAL activities.
- The MEAL Coordinator will work closely with the MEAL leads of various projects, program teams and partner staff to develop high quality monitoring systems and tools which measure progress towards indicators set out in project proposals.
- He/she will also take learning needs into account, and develop and conduct capacity building for MEAL and program staff, with support of the PQ Director.
- S/he will be the knowledge management focal person for the Nigeria CP.
- The MEAL Coordinator will coordinate the implementation and maintenance of the country program learning agenda, will also work closely with the DCR Programs to ensure that the Nigeria country program complies with the agency’s regional and global MEAL systems and standards.
- He/she will ensure that accountability and learning from projects are systematically captured and used throughout the country program.
MEAL Strategy & Design:
- Ensure that the Nigeria Country Program MEAL systems follow CRS’ global and regional MEAL policies, procedures, standards, and strategic initiatives.
- Provide strategic direction for the development and maintenance of MEAL systems, and the roll-out of new initiatives.
- Support the project MEAL and project management teams /working group members in the design and implementation of assessments, gender analysis, stakeholder analysis, organizational capacity assessments, and other pre-program data collection and analysis.
- Work with the Business Development team to develop MEAL strategies for proposals, in alignment with relevant donor requirements.
- Manage agency driven MEAL inquiries, requirements (i.e. Participant and Service Delivery (PSDI) counts, and MEAL annual self-assessments)
- Support the conduct of SMILER workshops as part of project startup activities
- Contribute to donor reports, through high quality analysis of reports and interpretation of data.
- Work closely with NE Emergency MEAL Coordinator and Emergency Coordinator to ensure that MEAL for emergency programming is implemented according to project plans and donor requirements
- Support Program Managers to prepare and review past project reports (PPRs) to support learning within the CP
- Support learning-to-action events and reflection sessions to systematically analyze data for programmatic use, and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design and implementation.
- Ensure that MEAL and program teams regularly review, and accordingly adjust MEAL plans and tools, in the light of changes and needs in the field context based on monitoring data and reflection sessions.
- Develop an annual evaluation plan for all CP projects and emergency responses
- Support projects to develop SoWs and protocols for all assessments and evaluations (baseline, midline, final)
- Liaise with project MEAL staff to analyze data and finalize draft evaluation reports
- Archive the reports of all studies, assessments and evaluation on Gateway for ease of reference/business development.
- Work with RTA MEAL to review evaluation SoWs in line with CRS MEAL Policies and Procedures
- Assist projects to engage and supervise evaluation consultants and/or enumerators
- Lead the CRS Nigeria MEAL Community of Practice (CoP).
- Develop and co-facilitate MEAL workshops and modules for staff and partners to share country program, regional, and global MEAL tools, processes, and best practices to cultivate a culture of learning.
- Support DCR Programs to conduct orientations for new MEAL and program staff on CRS systems and key MEAL resources. Provide mentoring/accompaniment to CRS and partner staff to increase capacity and to achieve annual performance and development plans.
ICT for MEAL:
- Support MEAL and programming teams to develop strong project tracking, record keeping and filing methodologies for all activities, working with IT Unit
- Work with the Project MEAL leads, IT Manager and IT staff to maximize the value and utility of ICT4D initiatives including the use of data collection (e.g. CommCare) and data visualization (e.g. PowerBI) software, and/or the roll out of similar initiatives
- Oversee onboarding and orientation of new staff to MEAL and ICT4D/E, lead case studies, undertake research, and promote the creative application of new ICT4D/E technologies.
- Master’s Degree in a field related to international development.
- At least 8-10 years of managerial experience with an NGO (experience with INGO preferred); in addition to significant MEAL experience.
- Experience working with large donors e.g. USAID (including PEPFAR, BHA, FtF offices), Global Fund, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Familiarity with principles and current approaches to MEAL of development programs using both quantitative and qualitative methods, especially those of USAID and Global Fund.
- Experience with participatory MEAL systems.
- Experience with facilitation, capacity strengthening and partnership building, with the capacity to empower staff through opportunities for growth & development.
- Supervisory experience and management and team building skills.
- Excellent planning and organization skills. Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to work well with people, good judgment and commitment to CRS’ mission.
- Willingness to travel to different locations in Nigeria.
- Proficiency in database development/management, SPSS, EPI-Info, Access, Excel and skills in analyzing, interpreting and communicating information to various stakeholders.
- Experience using ICT for data collection and information visioning and mapping using GIS.
- Significant experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative assessments and surveys (including sound understanding of sampling issues).
- Previous experience with leading and managing studies and consultants.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Required Languages – List languages required to perform the job
- Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Country Representative, Deputy Country Representative, Program Quality Director, Chiefs of Party, Heads of Unit, Project MEAL leads, Central Africa Regional Team, CRS M&E Community of Practice.
- External: Donors, international and local partners, and program beneficiaries.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Nigerian Nationals Only
Application Deadline 8th June, 2021.