Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistic Officer
Employment Type: Full Time
General description of the position
This role is a Nigerian national position. The position is based in Maiduguri with regular travel within the regions of Tdh operations in Nigeria.
The Logistics Officer will provide a comprehensive and coherent administrative support for the Tdh logistics operations in Maiduguri and other field sites in Nigeria.
The purpose of the position is to implement logistic activities regarding the projects and the base(s) of TDH, more specifically:
- Warehouse management
- Stock management
- Support procurement and supply management
- Transportation / supply different areas of intervention of Tdh in Nigeria.
- General Logistics support
- Manage all warehousing activities of the delegation
- Support field offices with general logistics
- Ensure compliance and accountability throughout processes
- Manage all stocks for the delegation ensuring proper documentation and accountability
- Support procurement processes
In addition to the key responsibilities, the logistics Officer may be requested by the logistics Manager to support on the below responsibilities
Fleet management and Transport:
- Identify potential transportation company for delivery of goods to/from storehouses, to field site locations
- Draft service contracts with transportation company
- Fill all the documents needed for transportation of goods (Packing list and Waybill)
- Anticipate transportation needs and arrange shipments to Tdh field sites.
- Coordinate with logistic manager regarding questions of cargo movement notifications.
- Ensure all vehicles legal documentation and procedures are updated
- Ensure that problems are reported to the logistic manager as soon as possible.
- Ensure and supervise loading/unloading operations.
- Identify suppliers, and collect quotations according to Line manager
- Ensure that all the needed information is filled on quotations
- Ensure a proper filing system of all procurement files and documents and constantly update the follow up tool
- Ensure a good communication with the program managers at all the level of the purchase process
- Report any problem with supplier to the Logistic manager
- Ensure the supply all recurrent items (Office supplies, cleaning items, drinking water,)
- Identify with the Logistic manager the new suppliers and make a permanent research of new sources of supply on the benefit of the organization.
- Negotiate the price, delivery time and other terms with suppliers
- Ensure the quality of the purchase and the delivery deadlines
- Ensure the collected documents are compliant with the procedures: supplier stamp, signature…
- Provide invoices to the administration according to the rules of the organization
- Collaboration with Logistics sector for storing of Tdh goods in common storage areas
- Preparation of SRF and ROF forms for operations in common storage areas of Logistics sector
Organize the Flow of Merchandise:
- Take delivery of the items and check the quality & quantity
- Follow Tdh’s stock management procedures; Put in place and update/use all relevant tools (stock cards, stock list, delivery notes, etc)
- Ensure that all items are stored in good condition and that any missing or damaged goods are reported immediately to the line manager
- Ensure proper segregation of stored goods according to donor/program
- Prepare monthly stock reports and send it timely to logistic manager.
- Do regular inventories (monthly) for the different items stored within the office and activity bases (projects and logistic items), and ensure it is spread to the programs.
- Crosscheck regularly the data between deliveries from stock and programs data (donation certificates) in close relation with the program manager.
Human resources Management:
- Identify and mange daily workers for loading/unloading, transportation operations on sites of Tdh intervention.
- Prepare and follow up payment forms for daily workers payment after completing of works.
- Provide the line manager a monthly Stock report
- Immediate feedback in case of incident in and around our working area to the line Manager.
- Agree to comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and promote Child Safeguarding policy.
- Report serious cases of abuse on children that she/he would be aware of in Tdh’s intervention locations. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
- Adhere to and enforce current administrative and logistical regulations and procedures
- The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and levels of work assigned and are not necessarily allinclusive.
- Formal education / training in logistics desired can be compensated with experience (at discretion of evaluation team).
- Significant previous experience with similar tasks, particularly in procurement
- Ability to work under pressure and in stressful environment.
- Previous experience in emergency response is appreciated.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Advance IT knowledge (hardware and software, Microsoft Office, Internet, Server).
- Experience in team management.
- Previous experience with an NGO is desirable.
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills
- Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- To have a valid driving license is an asset.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken), Hausa and Kanuri
- The candidate is expected to be honest, strongly motivated and display a high standard of integrity in humanitarian work, disciplined and team-oriented Essentials:
- 2 – 3 years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national level in logistics.
- Varied supply / logistics functional background ranging from Inventory and warehousing to transport management and distribution to beneficiaries
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions. Desirables:
- Flexible and willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations.
- Ability to multitask and work comfortably under pressure Experience from working in an (I)NGO Bachelor’s Degree or any equivalents, Higher Diploma, NCE in any field related to humanitarian work.
- Knowledge & experience of dealing with commercial transporters and coordinating supply delivery to remote and insecure areas
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel).
- Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th May, 2021.