Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Counsel – Ukraine Refugee Crisis Response
Location: Globally flexible, Flexible
Type of Role: Fixed Term
Duration: 3 months
Reports to: Ukraine Response Operations Manager
Dimensions of the Role
- The post holder provides advice and guidance to Plan International on the organisation’s response to the Ukraine Crisis.
- Manages and conducts specific projects and activities in relation to legal, compliance or regulatory issues, working flexibly within multidisciplinary teams.
- Supervision/management – instructs and manages external lawyers on specific projects related to establishing a response to the Ukraine crisis and working with partner organisations.
Technical Expertise, Skills And Knowledge
- Qualified as a lawyer in the UK and/or the US. Specific experience with Poland, Romania and Moldova are advantageous.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legal and compliance issues affecting international not for profit organisations.
- Knowledge and understanding of corporate governance issues, including as they affect international organisations and the not for profit sector.
- Experienced at providing legal advice internationally on a diverse range of issues.
- Significant experience on International Humanitarian Law, Geneva conventions, Convention on the Rights of the Child and other legal frameworks related to refugees, conflicts, and children.
- Highly effective at using legal skills to solve problems and identify and implement pragmatic solutions in line with the humanitarian principles, and Plan international’s Global Risk Policy.
- Able to develop efficient, effective legal, compliance or governance systems and processes that are user-friendly and fit for purpose, and to identify ways to streamline systems and processes to minimise effort and maximise value
- Able to influence and build strong relationships with different types of people at all levels.
- Self-motivated, efficient and highly organised.
- Creative problem solver
- Highly effective prioritisation of competing requests
- Ability to influence those over whom the post holder has no direct responsibility
- Strong on delivery and effective completer-finisher
- Strong legal drafting skills and powers of analysis with excellent attention to detail including when under pressure.
- Able to apply legal expertise to develop and implement legal or governance systems, processes and policies.
- Ability to think and advise strategically.
- Flexible and proactive, resilient, comfortable with and adapts well to change
- Team player, highly collaborative, able to work effectively in a matrix management structure
- Diplomatic, culturally and politically sensitive
- Committed to the values, aims and objectives of Plan International
- Ukrainian, Polish, Romanian, or Moldovan language skills are an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Click here for more information
- Location: Flexible where Plan International has a legal entity and you have the pre-existing right to work. Some travel to Poland, Moldova and/or Romania will be required
Application Deadline 13th April, 2022.