Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Intern – Research and Campaigns
Type: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 6 months
Directorate: Amnesty National Office
No of weekly working hours: 40
- To assist in monitoring human rights developments; supporting campaigns and growth activities; and carrying out research in various areas of focus including but not limited to arbitrary arrests, unlawful detentions, unlawful killings, women’s rights, media freedom, civic space, freedom of expression, forced evictions, torture and cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, discrimination, and access to justice.
About The Role
The research and campaign intern will assist in monitoring human rights developments; supporting campaigns and growth activities; and carrying out research in various areas of focus including but not limited to arbitrary arrests, unlawful detentions, unlawful killings, women’s rights, media freedom, civic space, freedom of expression, forced evictions, torture and cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, discrimination, and access to justice.
The suitable candidate must have demonstrated interest in human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc and must have a flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks.
- Assist with research and investigations on the human rights situation in Nigeria.
- Monitor human rights developments including decisions by national, regional and international human rights bodies.
- Assist in planning of meetings, seminars, workshops, compiling lists and logistical support as necessary.
- Support with processing incoming inquiries, petitions, and letters, and other administrative tasks.
- Draft letters, reports, blog posts, articles and informative pieces for internal and external audiences.
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work.
- Support in the development, organisation and implementation of campaigning, communication, human rights education, and growth activities by searching for and collating relevant information, developing short notes or briefings and documenting materials in a systematic manner for easy retrieval.
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: None
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the researchers, campaigners and the Finance and Office Manager; West and Central Africa Regional Office (WARO); International Secretariat (IS).
Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in a relevant field or relevant professional qualifications.
- Degrees in Gender / Women’s Studies, Social Sciences, Law would be an advantage.
- A Master’s Degree in Development, Gender / Women’s Studies / Feminist Studies is a plus
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multitask, and work to deadlines to achieve results
- Excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and multimedia tools like Canva is a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in the human rights women, gender equality and non-discrimination including an awareness of the topical issues in these areas e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This role is based in Nigeria. Only those legally authorized to work in Nigeria are advised to apply for this job.
- There will be a 3-month probation period for all postholders.
- We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities
Application Deadline 24th February, 2022.