Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Intern – Gender
Type: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 6 months
Directorate: Amnesty National Office
No of weekly working hours: 40
- To assist with gender mainstreaming across projects and promoting gender, intersectionality diversity, inclusion in human rights research, campaigns, media, and programmes within Amnesty International.
About The Role
The Gender Intern will assist with gender mainstreaming across projects and promoting gender, intersectionality diversity, inclusion in human rights research, campaigns, media, and programmes within Amnesty International.
The suitable candidates must have demonstrated interest in the human rights of women, gender equality and non-discrimination including an awareness of the topical issues in these areas e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc and must have a flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
- Help draft various papers, which may include technical notes, speeches, articles, opinion pieces, blog posts, reports, campaign materials and public statements
- Monitor human rights developments including decisions by national, regional, and international human rights bodies particularly on gender, intersectionality, and women’s human rights.
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of gender policies and report challenges periodically
- Contribute to gender strategy development, implementation guideline, orientation packs, checklists
- Capture and document any gender-related knowledge product that is being prepared by team members
- Generate gender updates about Amnesty’s work in Nigeria for internal and external audiences.
- Support with processing incoming inquiries, petitions, and letters, and other administrative tasks.
- Assist in planning of meetings, seminars, workshops, compiling lists and logistical support as necessary.
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work.
- Follow and report on gender, diversity, intersectionality, inclusion, and youth trends through research on strategies, developments, and donor communication and outreach.
- Support gender and youth focal points in the organization, by promoting diversity in Amnesty International Nigeria’s membership with focus on young women through trainings, research, and gender analysis.
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: None
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the researchers, campaigners and the Finance and Office Manager; West and Central Africa Regional Office (WARO); Gender, Sexuality and Identity Programme at the International Secretariat (IS).
Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in a relevant field or relevant professional qualifications.
- Degrees in Gender / Women’s Studies, Social Sciences, Law would be an advantage.
- A Master’s Degree in Development, Gender / Women’s Studies / Feminist Studies is a plus
- Demonstrated interest in the human rights women, gender equality and non-discrimination including an awareness of the topical issues in these areas e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multitask, and work to deadlines to achieve results
- Excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and multimedia tools like Canva is a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This role is based in Nigeria. Only those legally authorized to work in Nigeria are advised to apply for this job.
- There will be a 3-month probation period for all postholders.
- We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
Application Deadline 25th February, 2022.