Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interim Human Resources Coordinator
Location: Yola, Adamawa with field travel
Supervised By: Technical link to Regional HR Manager
Reports To: Head of Support Services
Employment Period: 04 months starting May 23, 2022 or ASAP
Type of Contract Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): Expatriate
Salary & Benefits: Non Management G, Unaccompanied position
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015.
- DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- The DRC Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to join our great Human Resources team in Nigeria.
- This role is a key partner to the Head of Suppport Services role in order to ensure proper implementation and updating of DRC procedures and guidelines within the country with a focus on compliance and functionality.
- The role mainly oversees all support, research and/or technical guidance on HR issues in Nigeria.
- The role includes regular travels to field locations in Nigeria following a need assessment conducted by the Senior Management Team of Nigeria.
- The role also contributes to the development of country strategies which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
- This position is a technical one, requiring a consistent previous experience in a similar position.
- This position also requires solid knowledge in HR and safeguarding. This position also requires a full professional proficiency in English language.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the authority of the Head of Support Services, with strong supervision of the Regional Human Resources Coordinator, the HR Coordinator is a key partner to the Head of Support Services for managing all aspects of the HR function
- She/ he is responsible for providing HR technical guidance and support in the best possible delay while providing accurate and easy to read/ understand HR information.
- The HR Coordinator will also ensure full mastering and technical support over the HR digital solutions (HR Manager, Homère, Dynamics) used by DRC in West Africa.
Recruitment and people planning:
- Work with senior management to identify needs for recruitments or replacements and come up with a planning and action plan for each
- Draft and update an organizational chart for Nigeria country mission on a monthly basis.
- Contribute to the project development on all aspects related to HR (organizational charts, narratives, etc)
- Drive and support all recruitment processes for Nigeria while ensuring they are unfolding in strict compliance with DRC policies and principles.
Onboarding and Contracts:
- Oversee the necessary steps, including the documentation, for the work contact edition and the smooth integration of the staff when and where needed.
- Establish an onboarding process for Nigeria country mission, taking into account the variety of roles, and oversee its global and systematic implementation to all new hires
- Ensure that staff receive a proper briefing on HR, Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest when and where needed. The result is that they fully understand what is expected of them individually and collectively and what they benefit from.
- Oversee the regular updating of the visa tracker and follow up with international staff and HR Officer Abuja for visa renewal as well as with other administrative formalities.
Employee Well Being:
- Proactively respond to and manage performance counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency and ensuring compliance in terms of practice and documentation
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements
- Contribute to the identification, launching and technical assistance on staff well-being initiatives. Make sure that they are diverse enough and match the staff needs
- Ensure oversight and consistency in how well-being is implemented across the different field locations in Nigeria.
Compensations & Benefits:
- Oversee the benchmarking the compensation and benefits situation in Nigeria (Birches Group, local surveys with International NGOS, etc)
- Establish the monthly payroll for Nigeria mission in a timely manner and in close collaboration with the HR Team Leaders and the Roving HR Specialist when needed.
- Supervise the review of the Compensation and Benefits system when and where needed and apply strict confidentiality to that topic until senior management authorizes the communication about it.
- Support communication and explication on that topic upon request from Nigeria Senior Management Team.
- Work with Nigeria Senior Management team to establish who is eligible to an individual salary increase based on performance on a yearly basis
- Ensure oversight and consistency in how compensation and benefits are implemented across the different field locations in Nigeria.
HR Capacity Building:
- Oversee the provision overall technical support and advice to the country HR teams on all aspects of the HR function in close collaboration with the Roving HR Specialist
- Act as the HR Focal Point for all audits. Contribute to the analysis and implementation of all recommendations regarding HR
- Oversee the review and continuous improvement of Human Resources processes, policies, tools and templates and draft/update as needed, providing feedback on areas for improvement
- Oversee the updating of any board/ sitrep linked with HR piloting in Nigeria
- Advise on Nigeria legal framework
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly / annual reports as per the fixed deadlines and provide ad hoc reports as required by management.
Learning and Development:
- Oversee the global and systematic implementation (and documentation) of Performance and Development meetings between managers and their team members.
- When the employee profile and performance does not suit the position and its expectations, make sure to follow-up on the situation and guide managers into taking a proper course of action.
- Oversee the development of the Learning & Development Country Strategy for Nigeria
- Supervise the editing and regular updating of a catalogue of development and learning opportunities that staff in DRC Nigeria would benefit from. Feed it regularly with recommendations and collect feedbacks
- Work with senior management to enlist staff who are eligible to benefiting from a learning and development opportunity. Keep track of that information and contribute to the successful and timely implementation
- Ensure oversight and consistency in how learning and development is implemented across the different field locations in Nigeria
- The responsibilities listed in this job advertisement are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs by the Head of Support Services and the Regional HR Manager but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience and Technical Competencies
- University Degree, preferably in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Resources and International / Humanitarian Law, Communications or similar.
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural, multi-sector, team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions;
- Demonstrated commitment and strict adherence to confidentiality
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal);
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in Human Resources with at least 3 years in a senior Human Resources management role within an NGO
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with INGOs and international organizations with the following sectors in their portfolio – protection, food security, WASH, shelter, NFIs, mine action, mine risk education, and armed violence reduction
- Strong working experience with ERP -HR software solutions (Homère, Saga, other)
- Proficiency in common computer packages i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc
- Experience and willingness to work in the field in volatile and insecure areas;
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English and Knowledge of Hausa and/or other languages used in northeast Nigeria would be a plus.
- Working knowledge of Homère, Dynamics and Talent Management (digital solutions for recruitments)
- Experience within the private sector related to job counselling/ economic integration would be a plus
- Post graduate HR certificate or coaching certificate
- Experience with Danish Refugee Council
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All applicants must send a Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- However, all applicants shall take into consideration that DRC cannot offer an international work contract to a citizen of the country of assignment (in this specific case, Nigeria).
- Applications submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
- Female candidate are highly encouraged to apply.
- We will do interviews on rolling basis therefore all candidates are highly encouraged to apply before the due date.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Application Deadline 4th May, 2022 (Midnight).