The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Host Entity: UNDP
Duration: 12 months
Number of Assignments: 1
Sustainable Development Goal: 1. No poverty
Expected Start Date: 03/05/2022
Volunteer Category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Mission and Objectives
- UNDP is the United Nations largest agency with a mandate to eradicate poverty, through sustainable and inclusive human development.
- UNDP has been in Nigeria since the country became independent in 1960 providing capacity building and policy development support to the Federal Government of Nigeria in areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth, and Sustainable Development.
- UNDP continues to support the government in the implementation of development interventions aimed at meeting medium to long term goals enshrined in National and Subnational development plans as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The goal of UNDP is to improve the lives of the people of Nigeria, especially the poorest and most vulnerable, and to ensure a future that offers equality, dignity, and opportunity for all.
- UNDP works in partnership with the federal Government of Nigeria, development partners, UN agencies, civil society and local communities to help identify local solutions to meet global and national development challenges through a range of interventions that combine UNDP’s expertise and comparative advantage in the areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth and Sustainable Development.
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager and direct supervision of the HR analyst, the HR Assistant provides HR services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
- The HR Assistant promotes a client-oriented and consistent with rules and regulations approach in the Unit.
- The HR Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Human Resources Analyst or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Human Resources Assistant will:
- Implement HR strategies
- Implement HR services
- Support to staff career management and career development
- Support to UN-related surveys
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of HR strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies. Input to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management
Implements HR services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of draft job descriptions, vacancy announcements, compiling matrixes, performing functions of Secretary in interview panels.
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table.
- Collection of background information for submissions to the CRP in all recruitments.
- Update of the CO rosters.
- Maintenance of proper filing system for HR records and documents.
- Provision of information for cost-recovery bills in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies
- Creation/update of positions in Atlas, association of positions to chart fields (COAs), update of COA information, setting up vendor performing the functions of Admin.HR, Position Administrator and Absence Processor in Atlas.
- Tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas.
Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of background information to CRP.
- Provision of background information for drafting Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- As an active [insert name Host Agency] team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to [UNDP] and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including:
Required Education Level:
- 3 years of experience in
- Handling HR processes, methods and procedures
- Facilitating recruitment processes
- Talent management
- Working and applying local employment laws and organization HR policies and guidelines
Area(s) of Expertise:
- English, Level: Fluent, Required.
Competencies and Values:
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals.
- We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
- As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
- Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy
Application Deadline 27th April, 2022.