The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Marketing West Cluster (Maternity Cover)
Post Location: Any British Council office in Nigeria
Contract type: This is a contract opportunity for an external Consultant / Contractor
Duration: 6-month fixed term
Contract Term: 6 Month Fixed Term Maternity Cover
- This 6 month maternity cover role is ideal for anyone in between jobs or available immediately.
- The successful post holder will lead the development and execution of the country marketing strategy and plans for all countries within the West Africa Cluster, ensuring alignment to the regional and global marketing strategy and brand, and work in partnership with SBUs to ensure that country marketing activities enable required business targets.
- This role will be accountable for the planning and execution for Cluster, while managing and evaluating plans for the Cluster. The role holder will line manage the Marketing Managers and Communications Mangers in the cluster and cover the same duties for their own country.
Main Opportunities / Challenges for this Role
- Leading marketing strategy, planning and execution for the cluster of countries, ensuring that it drives and supports the regional marketing strategic objectives for the British Council in a flexible, cost-effective way
- Leading the development and execution of Cluster and Country market strategies working with the Country Marketing Managers, agreeing the delivery mechanisms, budgets and programmes with regional marketing and overseeing delivery to plan
- Ensuring effective, integrated and joined up delivery of country marketing activity to maximise impact and return on investment in the marketplace
- English Language Proficiency Level minimum B2, written and spoken
- Degree or professional qualification in marketing or business
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a marketing position at a national level within a large and complex organisation
- Demonstrable experience of developing marketing strategies and plans
- Demonstrable experience in managing supplier relationships
- Relevant professional accreditations e.g. CIM, Melcrum, GCN, CIPR, WOMMA etc.
- Experience working in a global organisation
- Evidence of successful line management of a small team remotely
- Experience in Arts, Education or Society
- Experience with Development Projects
- Candidates must have current legal right to live and work in Nigeria. This is a 6 month fixed term opportunity. The successful candidate will be contracted to British Council
Deadline: 14th July, 2021 – 23:59 South Africa Time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The British Council is committed to a policy of equality and to valuing diversity and is keen to reflect the diversity of the societies in which we work at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies.
- The British Council has Disability Confident Employer Status. We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role. Applicants are encouraged to highlight any specific requirements or adjustments needed to enable participation in the recruitment process.
- The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
- We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
- Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.