Khadob College is a reputable Muslim school of high educational standard and Islamic morals dedicated to educating intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically and emotionally located in a serene environment in Akure, Ondo State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Guidance Counselor (Female Muslim)
Location: Akure, Ondo
Employment Type: Full-time
Purpose of Role
- The Counsellor attends to the socio-emotional life of every student. She encourages/challenges students regularly during school assembly sessions, guides/counsels students in one-on-one sessions whenever the need arises and provides material for weekly sessions of Personal and Social Education.
- She also organizes career programmes for students and is in charge of university admissions. Above all, the Counsellor is a role model for every student.
Personal Qualities, Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Effective communication and presentation skills, good command of English Language, good understanding of adolescent psychology, good interpersonal skills, a team player, ability to work effectively with minimum supervision, proficiency in use of Office Suites like Microsoft Word and Power Point.
- Therapy and counselling- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures or diagnosis, treatment and for career counselling and guidance.
- A thorough understanding of the current and changing educational landscape.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and learning of students.
- Understanding the needs and motivations of young people.
- Proven expertise in organisational time-management, interpersonal, evaluation, negotiation, decision making, and good working relationship skills.
- An approachable, personable individual with a good sense of humour.
- A flexible, adaptable, decisive individual with great attention to details.
- Ability to develop children to reach their full potential regardless of background or circumstances.
- Experience of supporting and implementing change.
- Ability to create a safe, happy, and successful environment.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Knowledge of human behaviour and performance; psychological research methods and the assessment and treatment of the behavioural and affective disorder.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms and other relevant office procedures.
- Proficient in the use of ICT for management of data, as well as the ability to work effectively with all Microsoft office suites, such as Word, Excel, power-point.
- Proven track record in the delivery of an outstanding student experience.
- A professional role model for all students and educators in attitude, demeanour, and appearance.
- Provide crisis intervention to students when difficult situations occur at school
- Discuss with parents, guidance, teachers, administrators and other professionals the children’s progress.
- Resolve behavioural, academic and other problems, and determine priorities for students and their resource needs.
- Counsel students to help them understand and overcome personal, social or behavioural problems affecting their educational activities.
- Provide training, workshops, seminars and special programs to teach students to handle conflicts without resorting into violence.
- Collaborate with principals to conduct orientation programs and group conferences to promote the adjustment of individuals to new life experiences.
- Collaborate with principals in developing, -coordinating and implementing the school’s guidance, administrative rules and directives.
- Assisting students with the completion of college admissions applications.
- Organizing and promoting standardized assessment opportunities and interpreting test results to students and/or parents on request;.
- Assuring that appropriate, accurate information is maintained in each student’s permanent, cumulative record.
- Scheduling; counseling students in vocational and career guidance.
- Expected to be very knowledgeable of career preparation in order to provide advice to students regarding education and employment options after high school.
- Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, registration, school adjustment, study habits and career planning.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records required by administrative regulation.
- Evaluate students’ abilities, interests and personality characteristics, using tests, records, interviews and professional sources.
- Observe students during classroom and play activities to evaluate students’ performance, behaviour, social development and conduct follow-up interviews with counselees to determine if their needs have been met.
- Collaborate with principals to review transcripts to ensure the students meet graduation/ college entrance and write letters of recommendation.
- Collaborate with principals to determine appropriate disciplinary measures for students.
- Planning and/or promoting programmes which enhance the academic, social or emotional growth of students, e.g., Curriculum Fair, Career Fair, Graduation, opportunities for student enrichment and/or remediation, scholarship opportunities and parent informational programmes;
- Working with students who have discipline, attendance and academic problems and are referred by teachers, parents or administrators;
- Guiding each student to choose courses consistent with his/her interests, abilities and career plans.
- Helping students develop post-secondary educational plans in accordance with their interests, abilities and career plans;
- Supply admission requirements for colleges and training programmes.
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications
- An enthusiastic, energetic, ambitious, and smart individual with a resounding track record of success as a guidance counsellor.
- B.Sc / B.Sc Ed / PGDE / M.Ed in Guidance Counselling, Psychology.
- At least 2 – 3 years experience of coaching, managing and co-ordinating students’ in the educational sector.
- An evidence of continually improving the behaviour of students.
- An experience of raising attainment in a challenging learning environment.
- A record of past accomplishments and experience in collaborating with various stakeholders to accomplish school goals.
- An experience developing positive relationships with colleagues, staff members, parents, and students.
- Knowledge of child policy regulation and its implementation.
- Quality exposure to British and Nigerian curricula.
N35,000 – N40,000 monthly
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV and Cover letter to: [email protected] in not more than 250 words stating why you are the best applicant for this role, using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Please make sure you meet the necessary requirements before applying for this position
Application Deadline 15th June, 2021.