Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Global Advocacy Monitoring Adviser
Department: Policy and Programme Strategies (PS2)
Contract: 2 Year Fixed Term Contract (renewable)
Reports to: Head of Advocacy (Policy & Global Advocacy Directorate)
- To progress and strengthen Sightsavers work in advocacy monitoring, evaluation, analysis, and learning.
- To influence and engage decision makers on areas of data policy including but not restricted to inclusive data and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- To provide expert technical guidance to Policy and Global Advocacy (PGA) and Sightsavers Country Offices on monitoring, evaluation and learning from an influencing and advocacy perspective.
- Sightsavers has delivered considerable success in advocacy to date and this role aims to ensure we capitalise on our successes so far and establish Sightsavers as a leader in the sector.
- The role will work on developing forums for sharing lessons about what works and identify challenges that are faced by multiple countries; managing the interaction between the Policy and Global Advocacy (PGA) and Research teams to ensure we use evidence generated through research in our national advocacy; and increase the quality and consistency of our advocacy monitoring.
- The role will play a key role in ensuring advocacy input to the MEL (Monitoring Evaluation and Learning) Community of Practice, have close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team, and input on Sightsavers strategic data analysis.
- The aim will be to further integrate advocacy in Sightsavers MEL systems, complementing work already done by the MEL team to ensure we do not develop duplicate systems and approaches. It will also lead on data advocacy, supporting country offices’ influencing on inclusive data, integration of eye health in Health Management Information Systems, and other priorities.
Developing and supporting systems for collecting, managing, and analysing information about national advocacy (40%)
- Advising on all programme advocacy monitoring to improve consistency and quality of monitoring, and working with the MEL team on integration within programme monitoring
- Advising on the monitoring of long-term advocacy plans, including developing a system for their monitoring
- Leading on the analysis and sharing of the Strategy Implementation Monitoring (SIM) card information, how it links with programme monitoring and other Sightsavers systems – including working closely with the LAMP project team, the Data Analysis and Reporting Team (DART), to develop the LAMP advocacy data capture methodology and data management infrastructure
- Leading on engagement with the MEL, DART, PS2 Ops and other teams, on how Sightsavers monitoring (at all levels) can be integrated and aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Leading PGA work with organisational International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) engagement, ensuring consistency on the SDGs, in particular
- Improving and innovating advocacy monitoring and evaluation systems, including: further development and usage of the Levels of Influence framework, and working with the Advocacy Officer (Joyce) and DART on how to integrate the Sightsavers Advocacy Reporting App with monitoring systems
Influencing policy at global and national level as it relates to issues of data and monitoring (40%):
- Working with the Heads of Advocacy and Policy, leading PGA’s work with Sightsavers Inclusive Data Senior Stakeholder Group, country offices, the Inclusive Data team and others on the collection and use of quality inclusive data by governments and decision makers.
- Coordinating and supporting advocacy on inclusive data.
- Identifying how we can improve the quality of government monitoring of SDG-related policy change. This will include working with the Health Policy Adviser on influencing the IAEG-SDGs, to ensure Sightsavers is more able to effectively influence changes in the SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) monitoring framework
- Working with the policy team on analysis of the OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) DAC (Development Assistance Committee) Disability Marker and the OECD SDG field
- Working with the PS2 Operations Directorate on developing a concept for, and delivery of, an SDG Voluntary Stakeholder Review
Developing forums for evaluating what works and sharing lessons about what works and identify challenges that are faced by multiple countries (15%):
- Identifying and supporting country offices to share amongst themselves, within and without Sightsavers – developing links between internal and external learning and dissemination on advocacy
- Managing the interaction between the PGA, the Research team, and GTLs (global technical leads) to ensure that we are building an evidence-base for our work and that we use evidence generated through research in our national advocacy
Engaging in internal PGA and organisational processes as appropriate (5%):
- Developing an annual budget that covers the responsibilities of the role and adhere to regular PGA budgetary and reporting processes
- Ensuring that Sightsavers’ safeguarding policy processes are adhered to. Responsibility for reporting safeguarding concerns as they arise
- Deputising for the Global Advocacy Manager and Head of Advocacy as required
- Head of Advocacy
- Global Advocacy Manager and Global Advocacy Advisers
- Director of Policy and Global Advocacy
- Policy and Global Advocacy Directorate
- GTLs (global technical leads)
- Inclusive Data team
- Inclusive Data Senior Stakeholders Group
- Country Directors and Regional Directors
- MEL and DART teams
- Research team
- Government decision makers and influencers
- Multilateral organisations
- Alliance partners
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience)
- Relevant academic qualifications in a Social Science
- Significant experience of working as an advocacy professional within INGOs (international non-governmental organisations) and supporting national advocacy within a global advocacy strategy
- Specific experience of human rights advocacy at national, regional, and international levels
- Expertise in building staff capacities to develop and deliver effective advocacy monitoring strategies
- Knowledge of current issues and best practice in development particularly in advocacy monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of representing NGOs (Non-Governmental Organisation) at a high level on critical strategic issues
- Significant experience of monitoring, evaluation, and learning within an iNGO context
- Experience working with data management information systems and applying data analysis/statistical techniques to data
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Ability to represent the organisation to external bodies at a high level
- Ability to think strategically and translate this into effective action plans
- Effective communication and relationship building skills with internal and external audiences
- Ability to work effectively as part of an international team
- Ability to influence organisational strategy and promote change internally
- Ability to develop and implement effective advocacy plans and MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) systems
- Communicating & Influencing
- Team Working
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Ability to network and inspire others to collaborate
- Resilience, strong cultural sensitivity
- Planning & Organising
- Change & Improvement
- Delivery and Implementation
Local Terms and Conditions apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd May, 2022.