Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance / HR Assistant
Location: MSF OCA, Gummi, Zamfara
Employment Type: Contract
Job Type: Definite Contract (6 months)
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Execute administrative, HR/Finance and legal-related tasks to support Project FIN/HR Manager and do a follow-up of project accountancy, according to administration manager’s and MSF procedures, in order to ensure legal compliance and keep strict control over monetary resources to achieve project objectives.
- Execute administrative and legal related tasks, under the supervisor of the FIN/HR Manager, checking payroll calculations and updating personal files in order to ensure accuracy, compliance and on-time payments.
- Prepare the employment contracts in conformity with legal requirements including specific amendments when necessary in order to ensure local labour and fiscal law compliance.
- Draw up the final pay slips and employment certificate at the end of a contract in order to meet legal requirements while defending MSF‘s interests.
- Order to ensure the highest control and security; assisting the Project Fin Manager in the prevision of monthly treasury and planning in order to ensure the coverage of daily needs, advances on salaries, payroll, etc.
- Processing the payment to suppliers and keeping strict on all documentation involved, informing the administration manager of any sort of disparity.
- Carrying out all accounting tasks and activities, classifying, preparing and filing of all accounting pieces in accounting software, in order to ensure strict control of all expenditures and the reliability of statements and documentation.
- Follow up on all expiring rental contract dates and inform the Administration Manager in order to leave enough time to arrange a renewal or look for some other alternative.
- Making all administrative information available to the staff (posting, meetings, etc.), supporting the Project Finance Manager in translating documents into the local language and assisting in meetings upon request.
- Enter data into the HR database and personal files and keep them up-to-date in order to facilitate HR processes management.
- Update social security Tax office employee files in order to meet legal requirements and duties
- Draw up monthly pay slips for all staff editing and updating the necessary data, in order to ensure the punctuality and accuracy of staff payroll.
- Any other administrative task delegated by the Project Finance Manager.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Process all bank payments (internet, cheques, transfers) after receiving and reviewing the supporting documentation for compliance with the finance policy, quality standards and the beneficiaries’ banking details. Check the bank balance frequently and ensure its within the maximum and minimum stipulated by MSF. Flag to the manager when the amounts are low so it can be followed up.
- Liaise with coordination in terms of doing the paperwork necessary for any bank transaction and follow-up.
- Ensure that the monthly closing deadlines are respected, actively follow up and inform the manager if deadlines are approaching in terms of the normal monthly financial procedures.
- Assisting the Finance /HR Manager in the provision of monthly financial planning (MMRs) in order to ensure the coverage of daily project needs, advances on salaries, and daily workers and also advising coordination of anticipated costs for their financial planning. Ensure collaboration with department supervisors to facilitate the accuracy of MMR.
- Ensuring respect for and strict compliance to MSF standards (Chart of accounts, quality of documents, Authorization table, expense validation procedures, cash security rules, etc.).
- Processing the payment to suppliers/third parties and keeping strict oversight on all documentation involved, informing the administration manager of any sort of disparity. Report on any outstanding payments to ensure timely communication with affected individuals as necessary.
- Is responsible to ensure all receipts meet MSF requirements (deadlines, information, signatures etc.)
- Checking individual entries and preparing the necessary original documents for efficient justification and explanation of payments and receipts made.
- Prepare the hardcopies according to the month-end checklist and ensure proper filing of financial documentation. Review the projects’ bookkeeping to ensure that the supporting documentation complies with the finance policy standards and ensure exception reports are completed as required.
- Update the food-kitty costs and charge out to International staff’s sub-accounts on a monthly basis
- Check for monthly bank statement matching with the transactions and monthly bank reconciliation as requirements and prepare as per MSF template.
- Supervise the cashier; ensure to provide guidance and support in order for the staff to be performing as per the financial standards required.
- Ensure that the daily worker pool is updated and the relevant information is reported accurately. Facilitate their work with each department. Additionally ensure that the paperwork for daily worker use is accurate, updated and complete.
- Take care of national and international staff flights, accommodation, airport transport, visa, work permit, medical tests and any related transit work.
- Brief new arrivals both national and international in terms of the project, introduce them to the team and also their accommodation
- Supervise the cleaners, cooks and cashiers, take care of their administrative needs and ensure they carry out their day-to-day tasks effectively.
- Control the admin office supplies in terms of stationery and cleaning items in addition to drinking water, tea, sugar, milk and coffee etc. make sure that we have sufficient stock in the office. Liaise with the supply department and make sure we don’t run out of these items.
- Be flexible and open to working in a dynamic and ever-changing work environment
- Be adaptable in terms of taking on new tasks and adjusting to ad-hoc requests
- Be friendly and welcoming to all staff, and encourage having an open and safe environment in the office.
- Assist in recruitment technicalities such as sharing vacancies with coordination for the announcement, making the recruitment tool, arranging and facilitating test locations between projects, and informing applicants whether selected or not.
- L&D follow-up (sending applications, facilitating training, following up on reports, booking the venues preparing per diem, security money, travel, visa requirements etc. filling out L&D activity reports and following up with the L&D manager in the mission in terms of all L&D related activities.
- Keep abreast of performance management requirements in the projects, maintain an overview, follow up on staff appraisals and evaluations with supervisors and managers, and record them in Homere in a timely manner.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Desirable Finance, Business or Administration related Diploma.
- Essential previous working experience of at least 2 years in relevant jobs.
- Desirable experience in MSF or other NGOs in developing countries.
- Mission language and local language (Hausa) essential
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, internet)
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles and Stress Management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th July, 2022 (5:00 pm).
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization