The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Field Security Officer
Requisition: VN 2021 02 Field Security Officer (P3) Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), technical supervision of the Country FSO and in close collaboration with the Office of Staff Security (OSS) at Headquarters (HQ) and Dakar Regional Office, and the Programme Managers in Abuja, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for all security and safety matters related directly or indirectly to all IOM personnel and property in Abuja, Nigeria.
- S/he will rationally and successfully manage the IOM Abuja Staff and Security Unit, and plan, coordinate and implement appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address staff safety and the protection of IOM assets.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Collaborate, coordinate and establish networks with other international organizations, government security services and agencies working in the security management field, and ensure appropriate lines of communications relating to all aspects of staff safety and security related to the IOM operations and programmes are established and well maintained.
- Provide advice, technical support and assistance to the CoM, Programme and Project
- Managers and when required and possible, collaborate with other offices in the Region regarding safety/ security matters that will impact IOM’s operations and programmes. Provide relevant technical and strategic analysis on potential threats/ risks to staff/ programmes and ensure that appropriate safety/ security information is disseminated to staff members.
- Manage the IOM SSU Unit in Abuja, ensuring a team approach and coach, train, and monitor the Local Security Staff (LSA). Ensure reciprocal professional growth and organizational support. Conduct security assessments / evaluations, monitor regional security threats/trends, in collaboration with the OSS that will enable comprehensive threat/risk analyses, and further offer appropriate recommendations.
- Participate in the UNDSS led security cell meetings and brief Chief of Mission and Country FSO as required. Attend the UN Senior Management Team meetings (SMT) as an observer, if needed.
- In coordination with Country FSO, UNDSS, relevant partners and OSS Operations Centre, conduct facilities and operational safety and security threats and risk assessments and provide effective mitigation.
- Review and provide recommendations on the office Emergency/Contingency Plans (such as operations and medical evacuation, Business Continuity Plan (BCP), and emergency communications systems). This includes an effective and frequently tested Warden System.
- Respond as appropriate to safety and security incidents relating to IOM personnel,
- programmes and, to the extent possible, key implementing partners in Abuja and ensure all are reported to the relevant channels in a timely manner.
- Fill in for the Country FSO in case of absence as required.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the United Nations Department of Safety and
- Security (UNDSS) in Nigeria, and a comprehensive working knowledge of the present IOM/ UNDSS Memorandum of Understanding related to the various security protocols stipulated in this agreement, including the framework of Accountability of the UN Security Risk Management System (SRM), Residential Security Measures (RSM) and the UNDSS Security Policy Manual requirements. This will include working knowledge of various UNDSS security plans, evacuation/emergency protocols in place in the mission, and ensuring that IOM staff are familiar with these plans.
- Review and monitor the level of SRM and RSM compliance in Abuja office and other offices as required and make recommendations to effectively address all non-compliance findings.
- Develop and provide safety and security briefings for IOM Personnel in Abuja and for those travelling to field locations in-country.
- Conduct emergency exercises/ drills to ensure that staff are following established security procedures, such as convoy radio checks, general convoy security and provide relevant trainings and refresher trainings to ensure staff members are fully aware of security procedures in the field.
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Security Management, Law and /or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields or equivalent studies in the National Armed or Security forces of country of residence with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Security management, migrant Camp Security, and emergency response;
- Experience in United Nations missions, international peacekeeping, humanitarian emergency operations, strategic security planning/analysis and advanced security training with national or international security agencies or private organizations is highly desirable;
- Previous working experience in the region an advantage.
- Comprehensive understanding of the United Nations Security Management System
- (UNSMS)system and exhibit the ability to work with UNDSS in the field;
- Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts;
- Demonstrate the ability to manage a high degree of rational behaviour and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment;
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
- Strong general analytical skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Notes: Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts
Application Deadline 21st January, 2021.