United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) works to ensure that everybody has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, war or disaster at home. Since 1950, we have faced multiple crises on multiple continents, and provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nobody left to turn to. We help to save lives and build better futures for millions forced from home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: External Relations Officer
Job ID: 35020
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary Grade: P3
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
- Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
- Direct supervision is normally exercised by a Snr External Relations Officer of Representative who provides guidance on the applicable procedures.
- Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units at HQ.
- The incumbent may supervise some support staff.
- External contacts are predominantly with Partners, media, government embassies and other international organizations on matters of importance to the Organization.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description.
- They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Assist in the planning of a consultative process with UNHCR colleagues (Programme, Protection, etc.) with external actors and partners, so as to develop and implement protection and assistance strategy, with clearly articulated objectives, timelines and outputs.
- Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia and persons of concern).
- Assist in the articulation of all issues pertaining to the needs of the populations of concern and the strategies in place to respond to their needs.
- Inform the UNHCR Country Team on the UNHCR priorities so as to ensure that they are given adequate weight in the publications and documentation of the UN Country Team.
- Support senior management in representing UNHCR in the UN Country Team and other UN coordination fora.
- Support, and participate in, local UN integrated missions, Inter-Agency Standing Committee, Emergency Relief Coordinator and Cluster communication strategies and initiatives.
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Consolidate information on UNHCR¿s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals.
- Assist in the coordination of the drafting of, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
- Assist in the development of targeted communications strategies and media packages for situations and/or activities that require focused attention.
- Propose which donors to approach and which operations or activities to prioritize for special fundraising appeals.
- Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide accurate information by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions. Prepare reports as appropriate.
- In accordance with the operational context and in close cooperation with headquarters, propose new and non-traditional funding sources, as appropriate, including private sector and humanitarian pooled/basket funds (e.g. Central Emergency Response Fund, Human Security Fund).
- Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR¿s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country operation.
- Participate on behalf of the Representative and other supervisors in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
- Implement all aspects of a communications strategy.
- Approve budgets and expenditures for communications activities.
- Clear external relations/communication products and tools as appropriate.
- Represent UNHCR on behalf of senior management in fund-raising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
- Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate.
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
- On behalf of the Representative, approve fundraising messages.
- On behalf of the Representative, approve any relevant expenditure for the implementation of fundraising activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P3/NOC – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate Degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate Degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate Degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Political Sciences, Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, or other relevant field. (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses:
Relevant Job Experience
- Experience in humanitarian operations in a field environment.
- Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR operations both at Headquarters and in the Field.
- Fund-raising and programming/programme management experience.
- Experience of working with social media.
- IT-Web Content Management
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CO-Drafting and Documentation
- ER-Inter-Agency External Relations (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- C001L3 – Accountability Level 3
- C002L3 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
- C003L3 – Communication Level 3
- C004L3 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
- C005L3 – Client & Result Orientation Level 3
- C006L3 – Organizational Awareness Level 3
- M001L3 – Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
- M002L3 – Managing Performance Level 3
- M006L3 – Managing Resources Level 3
- M005L3 – Leadership Level 3
- M003L3 – Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
- X004L3 – Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
- X002L3 – Innovation and Creativity Level 3
- X001L3 – Analytical Thinking Level 3
- X007L3 – Political Awareness Level 3
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- A written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties.
- This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
- As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level.
- The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position.
- Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates
Application Deadline 21st April, 2022 (midnight Geneva time).