The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 42 countries worldwide. We address both the immediate, lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s emergency response team, with local partner CISCOPE (civil society coalition for poverty eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. IRC has been supporting programming in Adamawa state since early 2014. Since then, the IRC has expanded its operations to Borno and Yobe states courtesy of funding from ECHO, OFDA, DFID, LDS, SIDA, Europe Aid and SDC with projects on emergency WASH, nutrition, FSL and protection mainstreaming for IDPs and host communities in the two states.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EH Infrastructure Assistant
Requisition ID: req19798
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
- The EH Water and Sanitation Assistant will report to the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation and will be primarily responsible for supervising all water and sanitation infrastructure works as directed by the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation in supervision and direct management of safe water and sanitation provision activities. This will include field supervision of all construction and maintenance of water and sanitation infrastructure.
- Ensure water and sanitation infrastructure activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering beneficiary needs as per the SPHERE standards.
- Conduct rapid and detailed assessments aimed at establishing knowledge, awareness and practices of the target community with regard to hygiene.
- Assist the EH Infrastructure Officer in the design and implementation of the sanitation facilities M&E Plan.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other IRC sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, Gender, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE).
Grant Planning & Implementation:
- Directly implements the construction of water supply infrastructures including but not limited to drilling of shallow and deep boreholes, installation of hand pumps, installation of solar submersible pumps, construction of elevated water storage tanks, trenching and piping for water supply reticulation systems, construction of well aprons and communal tap stands with appropriate drainage.
- Directly implements the construction and installation of sanitation facilities including but not limited to Communal latrines, house hold latrines, Solid waste pits/bins, Hand washing stations, Drainage, Menstrual Hygiene Management facilities and bathing shelters.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on the construction of water and sanitation facilities to EH Officer-Water and Sanitation.
- Provide regular water quality monitoring reports to EH Officer (Water and Sanitation).
- Seek guidance and approval from EH Officer – Water and Sanitation on any changes to approved designs for water supply including water trucking concerns.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials.
- Identify and train Water Point attendants and Pump Technicians and motorized/solar systems Operators within WASH committees.
- Train and supervise skilled and unskilled daily workers during the installation and maintenance of WATSAN facilities.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer (Water and Sanitation) and EH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) on water quantity, location of water sources/communal taps while considering beneficiary proposals and needs.
- If required, supervise water trucking deliveries, water chlorination and water quality monitoring.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting:
- Daily volume of water supplied/delivered to location(s) including volumes and times of availability.
- Maintain records of number and location of all water collection points
- Maintain records of water quality monitoring.
- Routine O&M of water distribution system (s) and sanitation facilities including drainage around all water points and sanitation facilities.
Coordination & Representation:
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
- Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, donors and government at field level.
- Assist the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation to identify, train and provide daily support to skilled and unskilled workers working in Water and Sanitation initial installations, operation and maintenance activities.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget
- Responsible for skilled and unskilled daily workers’ reports, timesheets and work plans.
- Supervise skilled and unskilled daily workers
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaise with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: EH Infrastructure Officer
- Position directly supervises:
- Indirect Reporting: EH Manager
- B.Sc. / High National Diploma in Civil, Water Resources, Building or Mechanical Engineering, Hydrogeology with hand on experience in developing and adopting emergency WASH technologies and designs experience in implementation of water and sanitation projects.
- Sound knowledge of English language
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, Excel; Auto CAD or similar
- Knowledge of the Local language-Hausa
- Fluency in English and Hausa language preferred.
- At least 1-3 years professional experience with NGOs (INGO experience preferred)
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Working knowledge of SPHERE standards
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send Cover Letter and Resume in MS Word with the position applied for clearly stated via: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Address and send hard copises of Cover Letter and Resume to:
The Country Director,
International Rescue Committee,
Plot 902 Olu Awotesu Street,
Submit to any “IRC Field Office in Maiduguri, Monguno, Gwoza, Yola, Yobe or Mubi”.
Click here for more information