Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Mobilization Assistant
Job ID: 210002RH
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- Role Purpose:
- Support the State team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the programme; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the development programme as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Identify policy and practice change, based on Save the Children’s experience that would promote and protect the rights of children.
- Support in formulating key advocacy messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation on WASH, child Protection, Food security et al
- Ensure that voices of children form the basis of Save the Children’s advocacy strategy.
- Acquire information and understanding of social policy and adapt strategies as necessary.
- Ensure Save the Children visibility is seen in the state
- Develop good knowledge of local and national government structures, parliamentary and political processes, and key decision-making structures and how to influence them.
- Initiate and support lobbying, communications and other activities to inform and persuade policymakers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
- Support in building systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence-based advocacy and influencing at state and national levels.
- Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed.
- Actively participate in all Save the Children and CSO Coalition is driven activities in the state
- Establish as well as sustain existing synergy among coalition
- Engage with the state and local governments in policies review when needed
- Facilitate meetings of the coalition groups
- Prepare monthly reports of activities carried out
Collaboration & Representation:
- Develop and sustain strategic relationships with other agencies engaged in advocacy and policy work.
- Support in maintaining a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
- Support in facilitating capacity building of staff from Save the Children and partner agencies in advocacy and communications.
- As a spokesperson for Save the Children to a variety of external audiences including policy makers and the media, as directed.
- Programme Development:
- Provide technical support on voice and community mobilization to State programme team
- Develop a community mobilization strategy in collaboration with the team and ensure implementation
- Train and mentor Local consultants – Community support
- In collaboration with the rest of the programme team prepare and facilitate training
- accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- high level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- holds self and others accountable
- Zeal to work with Children
- future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- designing more effective admin systems
- willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills and Experience
- A degree or HND in health, social work, psychology, communications or related social science field.
- Entry level skills in advocacy and policy development / research in the development context.
- Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policy makers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
- Knowledge of the media and its role in raising awareness and shaping public policy.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet) and ability to be self-supporting in most administrative tasks.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Good understanding of strategies for achieving child protection, Psychosocial programming policies through participatory processes, and the links with gender, diversity and other aspects of identity.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to ensure achievement of desired change objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences at local, state and national levels.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society (coalitions) and media sectors.
- Training skills in advocacy techniques and influencing tactics.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Yobe state culture and the diversity of ethnic groups
- Ability to speak in at least 2 of the Local languages (Hausa, Kanuri, Fulfulde, Kare-Kare, Gizim,
- Equal Opportunities
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd May, 2021.