The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer 2 (National Position)
Job Reference No: ABJ202200284
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the direct supervision of the Communication Delegate, the Communication Officer 2 contributes to designing, planning and implementing communication projects and activities in coordination with the management of the field sub-structure and/or Communication Delegate.
- The Communication Officer 2 contributes to representing the ICRC externally and building the necessary understanding and acceptance of and support for the ICRC among key stakeholders.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of Communication strategies and Plan of Action for the Maiduguri area of responsibility (AoR) in line with sub-delegation/ Delegation’s Prevention/Communication Strategy.
- Provides interpretation and translation of documents to and from the local languages (internally or via identified external service providers) to support communication programmes as well as other departments when required.
- Supports operations by providing periodic communication-related (operational communication training) and coaching for field-structure staff and/or other departments/external employees (guards) on the ICRC and the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement when needed.
- With minimum supervision, organises and implements relevant activities: operational communication sessions, community engagement sessions, engage in public and digital communication, interaction with religious and traditional circles and civil society organisations, public affairs and resource mobilization.
- Support in building the capacity of National Red Cross communication coordinators and volunteers to correctly represent and present the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.
- Support the Maiduguri sub-delegation and Delegation’s drive to increase the visibility of the ICRC by generating audio-visual content for print and electronic use on ICRC publications and on-line media platforms.
- Develops context specific tools for public communication with stakeholders and provide support to operational departments on ensuring the content and design of their publications meets the ICRC visual identity.
- Maintains existing contacts and develops new relationship with journalists in key print and electronic media in order to increase the visibility of the ICRC within the AoR through the various media avenues.
- Supports the Head of Sub-Structure and/or in networking with relevant stakeholders and represents the ICRC to various audiences.
- Carries out information analysis/environment scanning to identify and follow political, security, humanitarian developments that could impact ICRC operations and relevant to the ICRC’s reputation/perception and access within the AoR.
Education and Experience Required
- University Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or relevant field.
- Excellent relationship-building/maintaining skills with diverse group of stakeholders.
- Good knowledge of the media landscape in the region.
- Good understanding of the humanitarian context in the North East of Nigeria.
- Proven ability to listen, gather feedback, analyse and make recommendations.
- 2-5 years’ prior experience in the field of communication and/or with the humanitarian sector.
- Excellent written and reporting skills.
- Excellent skills in MS office; familiarity with online and social media communication tools
- Excellent command of English, Hausa and Kanuri.
- Desired profile and Skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, Application letter and NYSC Certificate to: [email protected] using the “ABJ202200284 Communication Officer 2 MIU” as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline 22nd April, 2022.
- Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated.
- In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- Equal opportunities shall be provided to all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, status, disability etc.
- (Female candidates are encouraged to apply)
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.