The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Communications Assistant
Host Entity: UNICEF
Expected Start Date: 05/03/2022
Duration: 12 months
Sustainable Development Goal: 17. Partnerships for the goals
Volunteer Category: National UN Youth Volunteer
Number of assignments: 1
Mission and objectives:
- UNICEF is responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide.
- UNICEF Health program is designed to support national health priorities with focus on programs that will positively impact on the lives of the most disadvantaged children, such as the prevention and treatment of diseases through establishing community-level efforts and services to promote the health and well-being of children.
- In line with this strategy, UNICEF supports immunization and health prevention programs for childhood diseases and funding for sustainable health services.
- UNICEF programs have been guided by the Convention on the Rights of the Child (1989), which affirms the right of all children to “the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health and to facilities for the treatment of illness and rehabilitation of health.”
- UNICEF is committed to realizing the rights of all children to help them build a strong foundation and have the best chance of fulfilling their potential.
- We believe that ensuring a happy and healthy child begins before birth: from ensuring his/her mother has access to good neonatal care and delivering in a clean, safe environment to reaching adulthood as a responsible, healthy and informed parent to the next generation.
- This journey relies on a child having access to shelter, good nutrition, clean water and sanitation, healthcare and education.
- The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does – in programs, in advocacy and in operations.
- The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action.
- For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism.
- To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life – in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions – her or his rights are violated.
- Equity accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Chief of Communication and Communication Officer, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the National UN Youth Volunteer will:
- Assist in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of an advocacy and communication strategy to promote respect for children’s and women’s rights, and support UNICEF’s mission in the country.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a youth engagement strategy to support UNICEF’s mission in the country
- Assist in editing/re-writing human interest stories and blogs contributed by non-communication staff and research and draft such stories independently.
- Assist in producing graphic design content for social media, such as short videos, fact graphs, info graphs, and other documents that require simple design such as brochures.
- Assist Communication Section team members in events, launches, campaigns, and other key communication activities.
- Provide support for engagement on UNICEF Nigeria social media platforms, including drafting posts, researching photos, creating assets such as infographics and videos.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day)
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
As an active UNICEF team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to UNICEF and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including:
- Actively engaging communities of young people for the promotion of UNICEF’s work
- Producing short form content including videos and blogs for digital media channels
- Providing support for key communications campaigns
- Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented in all activities throughout the assignment
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed
- Age: 18 – 26
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
- 2 years of experience in communication, print and broadcast media or interactive digital media, at either the national or international level
- Working inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, youth organizations, and authorities at different levels
- Working effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel
Area(s) of Expertise:
- Communication, Information technology
- Driving license
- English, Level: Fluent, Desirable
Required Education level:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Sciences, or similar discipline is required for this position.
Competencies and Values:
- Professionalism: demonstrated understanding of operations relevant to UNICEF’s technical capabilities or knowledge relevant or transferable to UNICEF’s procedures and rules; discretion, political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact to deal with clients; ability to apply good judgement; ability to liaise and coordinate with a range of different actors, especially in senior positions
- Integrity: demonstrate the values and ethical standards of the UN and UNICEF in daily activities and behaviors while acting without consideration of personal gains; resist undue political pressure in decision-making; stand by decisions that are in the organization’s interest even if they are unpopular; take prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior; does not abuse power or authority
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards UNICEF’s mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy.
- United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
- As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status
Application Deadline 15th April, 2022.