Youth Network for Community and Sustainable Development – We are the leading advocacy group of all youth bodies working to end all forms of violence against women and girls including harmful traditional practices in Nigeria. The Youth Network for Community and Sustainable Development is a movement catalyzing social change by engaging young people and amplifying their voices to speak for Human Rights, through targeted advocacy to key players, capacity building and development, communications and media engagements, Partnerships and program implementation. We also work on other Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights issues, Governance and Environment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications and Advocacy Officer
Location: Head Office, Abuja
Employment Type: Contract
Reporting to: Technical Advisor who works remotely
Full Time: 40 hours per week (8 hours per day)
Contract duration: 7 months until December 2021 (with likelihood of extension)
Start date: Immediate
Main Purpose of the Job
- YNCSD is seeking to hire a Communications and Advocacy officer who will work on our existing Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights portfolio- comprising bold and momentous projects to address existing inequalities affecting women, girls and vulnerable groups. The portfolio of projects aims to improve the safe access of abortion services at the focal states where we would be implementing using a robust advocacy approach, address social norms that underpin Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) and other forms of violence against women and girls.
- The Communications & Advocacy Officer will be expected to translate the projects achievements into story formats through articles, blog posts, picture stories etc. for the public consumption through our website and social media handles.
- YNCSD seeks a feminist who is bold, daring and open to new challenges.
- He/She must possess good communications skills set and assists in a range of tasks including writing, formatting, copyediting, proofreading, social media, and designing and producing routine products and deliverables (e.g. technical reports, PowerPoint presentations, handouts, invitations, and flyers).
- Take the lead in organising media outreach; arranges all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; provides talking points and other materials as needed for senior staff; responds to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Coordinate production of a diverse range of information products including audio/visual communications, when needed to achieve specific policy goals;
- Manage editorial and event calendars
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communications.
- Coordinate wide range of policy and advocacy efforts aimed at making the lives of women and girls better,
- Develop conceptual policy advisory documents, and be the face of the organization across various states of operations.
- Ensure timely development of presentations and other advocacy materials and communication media; • Assist in planning, writing and managing e-blasts and e-newsletters.
- Update organization website using WordPress with current events, relevant news, etc.
- Design event/program fliers, graphics and other communications materials and products
- Design and create content for websites and social media platforms
- Update and maintain the Organizations social media presence, including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling and reporting Facebook updates
Essential Skills and Experience Essential
- Completed or working toward a University degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., International Relations, Development Studies, Communications etc)
- At least 4 years working experience;
- Demonstrable experience and achievements working in and advocating towards Adolescents SRHR and GBV;
- Knowledge of HTML, website content management and graphic design a plus
- Possess excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Genuine enthusiasm for creating compelling communications materials to support a wide range of current and anticipated programmes.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge on Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) landscape in Nigeria, especially on adolescents SRHR.
- Track record in policy analysis, writing and editing articles, website content, Social media management, reports and press releases;
- Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences;
- Excellent communication and project management skills; team player and facilitator;
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel). Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop highly desired.
Profile of the Candidate:
- The Communications and Advocacy officer should have experience in formulating and implementing organisational policy strategies.
- S/he is proactive, creative, outspoken, and optimistic with interest in sustainable development and a passion for making a difference, with a preference for achieving outcomes in collaboration with others.
- S/he has a results-oriented approach and proposes ways to innovate and continuously improve our communications products, practices, channels and messaging.
- S/he must demonstrate a commitment to the cause either through previous jobs experiences or any other activities related to our mission.
N65,000 – N100,000 monthly depending on experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter stating their motivation and the skills that they would bring to this specific post along with their Resume / CV to: [email protected] using ““C&A Officer” as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews to be carried out on a rolling basis commencing May 10
Application Deadline 14th May, 2021.