The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting suitable candidates to join our small but friendly project team based in the BBC Abuja Bureau in the position below:
Job Title: Business Coordinator (BBC / MacArthur Foundation Project)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788771/59593
Contract Type: Fixed Term Full Time
Job Category: Business Management & Administration
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Contract Type: 12 month contract
Job Family: Business Management & Administration
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation is a private foundation based in United States. It makes grants to support non-profit organizations in approximately 50 countries around the world.
- In Nigeria, its activities involve promoting transparent and efficient use of public resources in basic education with emphasis on the Universal Basic Education Commission’s matching grant fund and the School Feeding programme. It is also bringing together regulators and other stakeholders in the electricity sector to raise consumer awareness and pilot new approaches to improving transparency in electricity distribution.
- The foundation is also working to promote accountability in governance in Nigeria. The BBC World Service is teaming up the MacArthur Foundation to produce and publish a series of multimedia content around these key areas.
- To provide a wide range of business support services to the Business Unit (BU) to enable it to achieve business plan objectives.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The role of business coordinator will encompass some or all of the below. Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities, actual scope will be dependent on which BU the role operates within:
- Assist projects/working groups by providing general administration services, basic analytics reports and tracking outputs.
- Support the implementation of strategic priorities and policies by providing and collating information as required.
- Support the monitoring of the BU financial performance against budget, working with finance specialist and the management team to track or report outputs.
- Supporting the monitoring of the BU allocated budget(s), through providing basic analytics reports and tracking outputs.
- Responsible for co-ordinating team IT requests, user administration, systems access and record keeping. Working with the lead asset manager to ensure those who are joining, moving or leaving the department are equipped appropriately with the right IT.
- Coordinate BU business calendar activities to help monitor delivery and outputs.
- Help cascade information across BU to ensure effective communication flow.
- Provide general policy guidance and advice to support policy compliance working with divisional specialists (e.g. IT, Business Continuity, H&S etc.) as required.
- Work closely with BU business support functions across the BBC ensuring that all processes are followed.
- Work effectively with key BU stakeholders ensuring business support services are delivered efficiently.
- Provide the management team(s) with business support service including diary assistance , travel logistics, c-ordination of meetings, etc.
- First line supervision of a limited number of people.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Experience of providing administration assistance in at least one organisation.
- Organised, with ability to prioritise own workload effectively, to coordinate activities and conflicting demands to ensure that tight deadlines are met.
- Strong computer skills with strong experience of office software packages (i.e. Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to work with limited supervision, using own initiative to resolve most problems.
- High attention to detail and practical experience of gathering, analysing and collating complex and confidential information
- Good communication skills both orally and in writing, and (with guidance) the ability to target content for the audience.
- Proven ability to work constructively in partnership with a range of individuals.
- Basic analytical skills, with experience of providing MI data reports.
- Media sector experience.
- Relevant business management and/or project management qualification.
- Manages own time to achieve specified short-term targets.
- Operates within a 92-month planning timescale.
- Managerial guidance and assistance will be available.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Any offer of employment is conditional upon you having the right to work in Abuja, Nigeria
- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
- We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd April, 2022.