The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Armed and Security Forces (FAS) Adviser – National Position
Reference Number: ABJ202200281
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Career Category: Program / Project Management
Theme: Safety and Security
- Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Delegation (HoSD), the FAS Adviser acts as the local FAS file-holder on issues related to the ICRC’s dialogue with arms carriers in armed conflicts and other situations of violence, providing support to the Sub-delegation in terms of networking with relevant military and security, authorities, and the planning, coordination and execution of IHL/IHRL training and dissemination activities.
- He also supports in the setting of the sub-delegation’s communication priorities, objectives and strategies, as well as to the planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of its communication activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises the HoSD on all matters concerning the best way to relate with the military hierarchy deployed in the North East operation.
- Conducts dissemination and training sessions on the applicable laws to relevant members of community defence groups deployed in the area of responsibility of the Sub-delegation.
- In coordination with the MAG HoU, conducts IHL/IHRL briefing for troops in situ in the NE or during pre-deployment training sessions within the North East.
- Contributes to writing reports.
- Contributes to the development and production of dissemination tools.
- Acts as a relay between the Sub-Delegation and the PGE Unit in Abuja in respect of activities related to the Police file.
- Proactively takes step to expand the interlocutor base with relevant military interlocutors who can ensure better and deeper collaboration between the Sub-Delegation and the military in the North East.
- Supports in the setting of the sub-delegation’s communication priorities, objectives and strategies, as well as to the planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of its communication activities.
- Supports the Protection Unit in their day to day engagement with the military in the area of visit to places of detention in the North East.
- Support the Management and Protection Unit in developing and sustaining a dialogue on conduct of hostilities with relevant military commanders in the NE operations.
- Organises IHL/IHRL training, including case studies, and conducts dissemination with the support of the MAG Head of Unit (HoU).
Education and Experience Required
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences
- 3 – 4 years experience
- Retired commissioned military officer not below the rank of Major with a pass staff college (psc) award.
- Basic knowledge of IHL and human rights law.
Desired profile and Skills:
- Fluent in written and spoken English (Knowledge of Hausa language an advantage)
- Good communication skills
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Efficient use of PowerPoint and Microsoft words.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, Application Letter and NYSC Certificate to: [email protected] using “ABJ202200281 FAS Adviser MIU” as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline 22nd April, 2022.
- Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated
- In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- Equal opportunities shall be provided to all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, status, disability etc.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.